The RPG Thread [Newcomers Welcome]

Anything to do with games at all.
Rubix
Joined in 2008

PostThe RPG Thread [Newcomers Welcome]
by Rubix » Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:31 pm

The RPG Thread

Some members have been playing them for years others like me got a real taste back in 97 with Final Fantasy VII and some import games from Japan or you are a newcomer looking to learn more about the wonderful world of RPG's.

Use this topic to get anything off your mind or relive past moments of greatness, share with us your most challenging games and those you fell in love with.

Lets talk RPG!

For me my first love was Final Fantasy VII, I remember watching the video demo on the OPM and going straight out and buying it from Currys for £45. At first I didn't really understand it and the first boss kicked my ass but as the game went on I fell in love with the story and gameplay. When it was all over I got excited by the follow-up game so much I bought books and merchandise before the game was released.

Since then I have branched out playing the older FF games, Tales of games and Skies of Arcadia. There have also been first person games like Oblivion and Fallout or games like Knights of the Old republic. I find then when I play these games I get drawn into the story.

Share for us your RPG stories and those who are new to the scene feel free to ask questions.

Last edited by Rubix on Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Do not pre order games from Amazon!
PLAY | Final Fantasy VII Rebirth [59h]
WATCH | Ted Lasso S2, HiJack S1
RACE | Rome Marathon (March), Chew Valley 10k (June), GNR (Sept)
Raze

PostRe: The RPG Thread (Newcomers Welcome)
by Raze » Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:34 pm

I used to love Mystic Quest on the Snes. :(

Oxx
Joined in 2008

by Oxx » Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:35 pm

I guess Pokemon Blue was my first RPG. It stole hundreds of hours from me.

I was going to make a DS RPG MEGATHREAD at some point last year, but I decided not to and it seems that the moment has passed. Square Enix released a deluge of them last year and at the start of this year, but it looks like the cupboard is bare. Unless they spring a surprise Dragon Quest IX localisation for this year.

Rubix
Joined in 2008

by Rubix » Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:46 pm

My first taste of a Pokemon Game was one of the GBA ones I bought to play on the plane to Tenerife with my ex. I hated flying and wanted something to take my mind off it. Loved every moment of it 8-)

Oxx
Joined in 2008

by Oxx » Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:49 pm

Did you trade Lickitungs with your ex?

Cal
Joined in 2008

by Cal » Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:50 pm

I tend to enjoy more western RPGs - Dungeon Siege, Never Winter Nights, Baldurs Gate, etc. I do have rather a lot of JRPGs - the latest of which has been Star Ocean for 360 - but I just don't get on so well with the Japanese take on RPGs, although I wish more western developers would use the turn-based mechanic instead of everything always having to be real-time.

What I'd really like to see is a western RPG (you know - traditional LotR-style characters like wizards, rangers, goblins, orcs, elves, etc), turn-based, gorgeous - I mean absolutely stupendous visuals, fantastic environments, great traditional fantasy story and some top-notch CG cutscenes.

What are the chances...? :cry:

The Alchemist Penguin
Joined in 2008

by The Alchemist Penguin » Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:53 pm

Why do you want turn-based, Cal?

Dowbocop
Member ♥
Joined in 2008

by Dowbocop » Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:55 pm

I'm currently playing through KOTOR. I played up to the Starforge on my mates Xbox before having to give it back to him in 2006, so I'm giving it another go.

I don't like JRPGs. I've played FFVII and FFX, and I just don't like them. They're not fun, and they don't drag me into the story. I'm tempted to try one of the Pokemon games, but I'm pretty sure it'll be the same.

Tafdolphin
RETURN POLICY ABUSER
RETURN POLICY ABUSER
Joined in 2008

by Tafdolphin » Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:02 pm

FFVII and Planescape Torment are my personal faevs. Both about as different from each other as possible gameplay wise, but both with cracking stories and engaging characters, which is the most you can ask for really!

---------------------------
Games wot I worked on:
Night Call: Out now!
Rip Them Off: Out now!
Chinatown Detective Agency: 2021!
EXOGATE Initiative: Early Access Summer 2021
t: @Tafdolphin | Twitch: Tafdolphin
Osito
Joined in 2008

by Osito » Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:03 pm

Raze wrote:I used to love Mystic Quest on the Snes. :(

o/

I'm also trying to decide what to start; Chrono Trigger or Dragon Quest V?

Irene Demova
Joined in 2009
AKA: Karl

by Irene Demova » Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:04 pm

final-fx wrote:

o/

I'm also trying to decide what to start; Chrono Trigger or Dragon Quest V?

Chrono

Raze

by Raze » Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:07 pm

final-fx wrote:

o/

\o

I know it's usually frowned upon, but there was something about that game I found awesome as a kid.

That
Dr. Nyaaa~!
Dr. Nyaaa~!
Joined in 2008

by That » Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:08 pm

Western RPGs own. Oblivion, for all its faults, was pretty strawberry floating amazing overall. The Fallout series is outstanding too.

Pokemon was pretty good, as was FF6, but those are the only two JRPGs I've enjoyed.

Winckle
Technician
Joined in 2008

by Winckle » Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:24 pm

Rubix78 wrote:Some members have been playing them for years others like me got a real taste back in 97 with Final Fantasy VII and some import games from Japan or you are a newcomer looking to learn more about the wonderful world of RPG's.

Use this topic to get anything off your mind or relive past moments of greatness, share with us your most challenging games and those you fell in love with.

Lets talk RPG!

For me my first love was Final Fantasy VII, I remember watching the video demo on the OPM and going straight out and buying it from Currys for £45. At first I didn't really understand it and the first boss kicked my ass but as the game went on I fell in love with the story and gameplay. When it was all over I got excited by the follow-up game so much I bought books and merchandise before the game was released.

Since then I have branched out playing the older FF games, Tales of games and Skies of Arcadia. There have also been first person games like Oblivion and Fallout or games like Knights of the Old republic. I find then when I play these games I get drawn into the story.

Share for us your RPG stories and those who are new to the scene feel free to ask questions.

I too enjoy interactive film dvds

We should migrate GRcade to Flarum. :toot:
Cal
Joined in 2008

by Cal » Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:27 pm

The Alchemist Penguin wrote:Why do you want turn-based, Cal?

Good question. I like being able to think about things. It's like playing a game of chess. You have time to strategize between moves and I enjoy that. It requires some thinking, some tinkering, some level of risk. I don't like the way real-time systems always seem to be reduced to button-mashing. With a turn-based system you can take the time to prime each character with their move - be it a mele or ranged attack, or casting a particular spell, or healing, etc. I liked that about LotR:The Third Age. It was simple, but enjoyable turn-based gaming. D&D: Tactics on PSP is the same. Very deep, very slow, very considered.

Also, with less of an emphasis on real-time, the scope for creating some fantastic visuals is there. Beautiful-looking character models and FX and lush, atmospheric background art with very clear, well-designed but deep menus. If I had the money that's what I'd be making. A true fantasy-RPG fan's idea of heaven.

SEP
Member ♥
Joined in 2008
AKA: Moggy

by SEP » Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:29 pm

Is this for JRPGs only, or can I wax lyrical about The Elder Scrolls and Fable here?

Christopher
Emeritus
Joined in 2008

by Christopher » Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:31 pm

Anything by Lionhead or Bethseda can strawberry float right off. I need my RPG's emo or in space.

Winckle
Technician
Joined in 2008

by Winckle » Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:31 pm

MCN wrote:Is this for JRPGs only, or can I wax lyrical about The Elder Scrolls and Fable here?

I hope because someone needs to talk about games in this thread. Don't forget Fallout.

We should migrate GRcade to Flarum. :toot:
SEP
Member ♥
Joined in 2008
AKA: Moggy

by SEP » Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:31 pm

suzzopher wrote:Anything by Lionhead or Bethseda can strawberry float right off. I need my RPG's emo or in space.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Rubix
Joined in 2008

by Rubix » Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:33 pm

Winckle wrote:I too enjoy interactive film dvds

:roll:

Return to “Games”