Mirror's Edge (PS3/360//PC)

Anything to do with games at all.
NickSCFC

PostMirror's Edge (PS3/360//PC)
by NickSCFC » Sun Aug 17, 2008 1:16 pm

Official site: http://www.mirrorsedge.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Gameplay Trailers/Interviews/Hands On Demos:

Animated Story Trailer
E3 Trailer
EA Conference Demo
G4 TV Hands On Demo
IGN LiveWire Demo
30 Minute Gameplay Demo

Screens:

ImageImage
ImageImage

Hands On Previews/Impressions:

Teamxbox Preview -- HERE
Gamespot Hands On Preview -- HERE
Computer & VideoGames Preview -- HERE

Box art:
Image Image

Music:

Theme tune - Alcorus: Shine
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GECvsV6AxKI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Theme tune - Alcorus Mix
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4dnZMevAbA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Last edited by NickSCFC on Thu May 16, 2019 11:28 am, edited 8 times in total.
Dante
Joined in 2008
AKA: DanteCWA

PostRe: Mirror's Edge
by Dante » Sun Aug 17, 2008 1:21 pm

I can only hope that's temp box art, because it's horrible.

Not sure on the game so far really either. Its impressive but the constant draw along side Ass's Creed puts me off

Come join the GRcade World of Warcraft guild on the EU "The Maelstrom" server
Tanks wanted!
GRcadians!
IntergalacticSpacePenguin
Joined in 2008

by IntergalacticSpacePenguin » Sun Aug 17, 2008 1:34 pm

Have they gone into depth on the controls yet? Be a shame if they have an Assassin's Creed style of over simplification.

Daniel
Joined in 2008

by Daniel » Sun Aug 17, 2008 1:35 pm

I saw a video on TV this morning (on Playr I think) of a part where the charatcer was running on rooftops. Couldnt tell how user controlled it was though as looked more like those bits in Heavenly Sword and other games where you just press A when it tells you etc

Sarge

by Sarge » Sun Aug 17, 2008 2:03 pm

Last edited by Sarge on Sun Aug 17, 2008 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Crimson
Joined in 2008

by Crimson » Sun Aug 17, 2008 2:06 pm

Dante wrote:I can only hope that's temp box art, because it's horrible.

The 'by line' should quell your fears. ;)

Alvin Flummux
Joined in 2008

by Alvin Flummux » Sun Aug 17, 2008 2:09 pm

A game like Mirror's Edge deserves a simple piece of box art, like RE4: Wii Edition received.

Dante
Joined in 2008
AKA: DanteCWA

by Dante » Sun Aug 17, 2008 2:23 pm

The Crimson Clown wrote:
Dante wrote:I can only hope that's temp box art, because it's horrible.

The 'by line' should quell your fears. ;)

Missed that :lol:

Love the gamespot 9 out of 10 thing on the back too lol

Come join the GRcade World of Warcraft guild on the EU "The Maelstrom" server
Tanks wanted!
GRcadians!
Hexx
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Mirror's Edge (360/PS3/PC)
by Hexx » Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:25 pm

Interested in this because of the trailer in the "Best Trailers" thread.

Looked nifty.

When's it due (please don't say Sep/Oct/Nov this year!)

NickSCFC

by NickSCFC » Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:34 pm

14th November

Sarge

by Sarge » Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:03 am

Games Convention Trailer

clicky

Octoroc
Emeritus
Emeritus
Joined in 2008

by Octoroc » Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:15 am

:lol: The poor girl really seems to struggle with doors doesn't she?

In fact the whole thing looks like a struggle; it looks like no fun at all. They'd better keep that frame rate nice and high or they'll be a lot of motion sickness complaints.

So far this year, I have eaten NO mince pies.
Judoscar
Joined in 2008

by Judoscar » Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:24 am

I have to say that I think this looks like my most wanted game this year along with LBP and Fallout 3. I just think it is inspired actually. I hope it works out for them.

Eighthours
Emeritus
Emeritus
Joined in 2008

by Eighthours » Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:25 am

Octoroc wrote:In fact the whole thing looks like a struggle; it looks like no fun at all. They'd better keep that frame rate nice and high or they'll be a lot of motion sickness complaints.

I've only ever had motion sickness with one game: Portal. And that was only once, after I'd been trying a particularly evil jumpy-Portally puzzle for ages.

mario101
Joined in 2008

by mario101 » Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:34 am

thats looks amazing. eagerly anticipating this! and i had terrible motion sickness in portal, i had to take breaks every 30 minutes.

Octoroc
Emeritus
Emeritus
Joined in 2008

by Octoroc » Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:39 am

Eighthours wrote:
Octoroc wrote:In fact the whole thing looks like a struggle; it looks like no fun at all. They'd better keep that frame rate nice and high or they'll be a lot of motion sickness complaints.

I've only ever had motion sickness with one game: Portal. And that was only once, after I'd been trying a particularly evil jumpy-Portally puzzle for ages.

I couldn't play Mr Mosqueeto (PS2) for more than five minutes without feeling extreme nausea. Half-Life 2 was the same- maybe it's just my sensitive nature although I've been told it's all about the distance of the camera from the render surface; certain values can have a very diverse effect on some people. A nice high frame rate always helps though.

So far this year, I have eaten NO mince pies.
Sarge

by Sarge » Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:19 pm

IGN Hands On Preview

Mirror's Edge is the kind of game that might frighten some people because it has this crazy quality of being original. It's a game in the first-person perspective, but the only bit of display on the screen is a single dot in the center. There are guns, but the point of the game isn't to collect them and shoot other people. Think of it like a platformer if you want. This game is all about momentum and skilled jumps.

Mirror's Edge is a story driven game where you progress from one level to the next in a linear fashion and will last roughly 10 or 12 hours. You play as Faith, a courier who delivers messages in a dystopian future where all electronic communications are monitored a little too closely for some. To get the package from deliverer to recipient, she runs. In a towering city filled with a hostile police presence, this can get a bit hairy, especially given the fact that she never gains any new abilities through the game. The only thing that is unlocked, according to DICE, is your ability to play better.

The level that has been shown the most is the first, right after the tutorial. It takes place on the rooftops and gets you acquainted with some serious leaps. Remember, momentum is key. Get a running start and you can leap or slide and you'll carry much farther if you're going faster. This can be the difference between clearing a gap or biting the big one. With a little practice, you can run along walls and locate perfect lines to keep your momentum from one obstacle to the next. Even if you're not so good, the game will help you out by pointing out key places to leap or grab by coloring them red (you can turn this off if you're hardcore).

I got the chance to play through this entire first level. It's easy to see that there are fast ways of getting through it, but I was happy to just stay alive. Halfway through the level we grabbed a yellow courier bag before getting into a few fist fights. Occasionally you'll have to deal directly with the cops. If more than one or two show up, it's a good idea to run. Otherwise, you can run up and tap a single button to punch, kick, or slam them. It's all context sensitive; you just have to get close enough to deliver the blow. You can also disarm the guards, though that is a bit more difficult, and grab their weapon. If you do, know that it slows you down enough to prevent you from making tough jumps. These guns are intended to be quickly used and then discarded. Once we took down a couple of guards, the level ended with a timed jump off of a building where Faith grabbed on to a helicopter's leg.

In a non-playable demo, DICE also gave us a look at the third level. This took place down in storm drains inspired by Tokyo. There they have built towering drains intended to prevent flooding from tsunamis. At the floor level, we were shown two possible routes. Many levels are designed to have multiple paths in Mirror's Edge. Some are intended for a second play through. They're faster, but significantly harder. You will be rewarded for beating levels quickly, we're told, so mastering the game rather than just beating it is the intended goal. This level showed a bit more of the platforming and a great deal of action. This is where we got an extended demo of hand-to-hand combat, disarming guards, and firing off a few rounds. It's also when we were told that there would be an achievement for beating the game without using a gun. Sounds like a challenge that's right up my alley.

clicky

Sarge

by Sarge » Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:25 pm

Facility Escape Gameplay

clicky

OLIN
Joined in 2008

by OLIN » Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:12 pm

No-one ever seems to take my advice.

A pint or two of beer always cures motion sickness in games. It also works with rollercoasters - it just numbs the senses slightly so the 'wWwOoOoOoOoHhHh' effect doesn't quite affect you.

Or is it just because I'm a pisshead and can't do this gooseberry fool unless I'm in my natural condition?

Andrew Mills
Guides Sec.
Joined in 2008

by Andrew Mills » Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:34 pm

I reckon this'll be the perfect game for speedrunning. It'll have anyone going for it (i.e. most likely me) rather addicted I imagine. I'm really looking forward to it myself. It reminds me more of Metroid Prime more than any other game (with it's First Person platforming shenanigans).

Anyone got a concrete release date for this bad boy yet?

Return to “Games”