The Call of Duty - World at War Thread: Out Now!

Anything to do with games at all.
Jimmy Shedders
Joined in 2008

PostThe Call of Duty - World at War Thread: Out Now!
by Jimmy Shedders » Sun Sep 28, 2008 11:46 pm

Release date: 14/11/2008

Taken from GAME:
Call of Duty: World at War completely changes the rules of engagement by redefining WWII gaming and thrusting players into the final tension-filled, unforgiving battles against a new ferocious enemy in the most dangerous and suspenseful action ever seen in WWII.

Powered by Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare technology, Call of Duty: World at War brings an uncensored edge to combat, as soldiers face the most harrowing and climatic European and Pacific battles in which an enemy, who knows no surrender and no retreat, will fight to the last breath, unleashing an arsenal of lethal surprising tactics. Peril and danger lurk throughout the battlefield as players combat the unknown risk of the new chaos of battle.

From the remains of Russia and the ruins of Berlin, to the beach and jungles of the deadly Pacific Theater, the volatile action takes on added depth as players employ new features that previously were only-available in multiplayer, including perks, rankings and online stats in up-to full four-player cooperative gameplay. New infantry and vehicle-based weapons, like the potent flamethrower, bring the battlefield ablaze.

Final Battles: Call of Duty: World at War forces players to survive the final climactic days of a world at war to thwart the advance of Axis powers on multiple fronts from Europe to the Pacific – delivering the hallmark Call of Duty cinematic intensity on a worldwide scale. Play as a U.S. Marine or Russian conscript across a variety of European and Pacific infantry, vehicle and airborne missions. An all new depth of WWII-era combat variety, from the tactics and weapons to the unique and varying locations that traverse the ruins of Western Europe all the way to the harsh, wetlands of Imperial Japan, immerses gamers into an adrenaline-filled, epic struggle.

Co-Op Campaign Mode: “No One Fights Alone” takes on new meaning as players can complete the entire single player campaign with up to four players online or two players via split-screen (both online and offline). Strategising with others provides gameplay diversity, replayability and engagement. Complete unique co-op challenges to earn rewards and bragging rights. The title takes the perks, rankings and online stats that players love in multiplayer and builds them into the cooperative campaign as well, adding even more variety, replayability and continuous fun.

Addictive Multiplayer: Call of Duty: World at War continues the addictive and leading class-based multiplayer action. The addition of vehicles to the highly-successful Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare multiplayer that already includes persistent experience, player rankings, upgradeable weapons, squad-based gameplay, map scripting, customisable classes and perks, brings a new dimension to Call of Duty online warfare.

Unprecedented WWII Cinematic Quality: Utilising the jaw-dropping and revolutionary Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare engine, Call of Duty: World at War delivers an unprecedented level of visual and cinematic effects to WWII. Highly-detailed character models, self-shadowing, environmental lighting and amazing special effects up the WWII authenticity to new heights. Depth of field, rim-lighting and texture-streaming technology bring the adrenaline-pumping combat to life. Physics-enabled battlefields and destructible cover immerse players into the harrowing and dynamic combat.

Available on:

Beta access:

Yep, that's right. Game are offering COD:WaW beta access if you pre order with the.

Got an e-mail about this earlier, might go ahead and pre-order it.

http://www.game.co.uk/Xbox360/Action/Fi ... ll+of+duty

Apologies if this has already been posted, had a quick search and couldn't find anything

Last edited by Jimmy Shedders on Fri Nov 14, 2008 5:14 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Eighthours
Emeritus
Emeritus
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Call of Duty - World at War Beta (360)
by Eighthours » Sun Sep 28, 2008 11:59 pm

Cheers, fella. Pre-ordered.

Deception
Joined in 2008

by Deception » Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:31 am

What are GAME like with cancelling a pre-order?

Shadow
Joined in 2008

by Shadow » Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:35 am

Deception wrote:What are GAME like with cancelling a pre-order?

You can cancel no problem.

Crimson
Joined in 2008

by Crimson » Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:02 pm

Shadow wrote:
Deception wrote:What are GAME like with cancelling a pre-order?

You can cancel no problem.

So: preorder -> get code -> cancel preorder shouldn't be a problem?

Sarge

by Sarge » Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:04 pm

Limited offer while stocks last. The codes will be emailed every Friday afternoon until the release of COD: World at War. Customers will need to preorder before 1pm Thursday afternoon to receive a code the next day, otherwise the code will be sent out the following Friday.

So it's basically a demo, not a beta... :lol: :|

Luboluke
Joined in 2008

by Luboluke » Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:06 pm

Any news on the PC BETA?

(No 360 :( )

smurphy
Joined in 2008
AKA: A Little Cocky Child

by smurphy » Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:26 pm

Sarge wrote:
Limited offer while stocks last. The codes will be emailed every Friday afternoon until the release of COD: World at War. Customers will need to preorder before 1pm Thursday afternoon to receive a code the next day, otherwise the code will be sent out the following Friday.

So it's basically a demo, not a beta... :lol: :|

Most of these things are just used for hype-manufacturing anyway.

Fake edit: Although it's not uncommon for betas to run up to release.

Fake edit 2: Gah, I hate the term 'beta'. It's just become a marketing buzzword.

SchminkyPinky
Joined in 2008

by SchminkyPinky » Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:32 pm

I don't even know if I can be arsed pre-ordering this to get into the beta. I don't really want to go back to the WWII setting.

Boo!
Joined in 2008

by Boo! » Mon Sep 29, 2008 6:08 pm

So the beta is starting this friday?

Crimson
Joined in 2008

by Crimson » Mon Sep 29, 2008 6:11 pm

Boo! wrote:So the beta is starting this friday?

I'm not sure. They give you a code which allows you to access the beta site (not a marketplace code) but it could very well be starting on Friday.

Boo!
Joined in 2008

by Boo! » Mon Sep 29, 2008 6:13 pm

Anyone got any offer codes?

Sarge

by Sarge » Mon Sep 29, 2008 6:14 pm

Beta starts in October. (on PC as well)

clicky

Crimson
Joined in 2008

by Crimson » Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:56 pm

Order placed.

Reminder: Pre-order before 1pm tomorrow to get your code this Friday.

Jingle Ord The Way
Joined in 2008

by Jingle Ord The Way » Thu Oct 02, 2008 3:46 pm

I really can't wait for this game. I'm actually really happy that it has gone back to the series roots with World War II. Unlike what seems to be every other gamer out there I really like WWII games. The whole scenario for the single player campaign in COD4 just seemed so ridiculous and silly. Anyway there are some more really awesome looking videos released that features more of the co-op gameplay. Some of it looks quite brutal and bloody for a Call Of Duty game.

[gametrailers]40666[/gametrailers]
[gametrailers]40664[/gametrailers]
[gametrailers]40662[/gametrailers]
[gametrailers]40660[/gametrailers]
[gametrailers]40658[/gametrailers]
[gametrailers]40104[/gametrailers]

ImageImage
Floex
Joined in 2008

by Floex » Thu Oct 02, 2008 3:52 pm

Looking at those videos, why didn't they just make more maps and modes for COD4? :cry:

Gandalf
Joined in 2008

by Gandalf » Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:14 pm

Ord wrote:I really can't wait for this game. I'm actually really happy that it has gone back to the series roots with World War II. Unlike what seems to be every other gamer out there I really like WWII games. The whole scenario for the single player campaign in COD4 just seemed so ridiculous and silly. Anyway there are some more really awesome looking videos released that features more of the co-op gameplay. Some of it looks quite brutal and bloody for a Call Of Duty game.

I'm the total opposite of that. I think there are too many WWII (not saying I don't like playing them) but I was glad they decided to do something fresh with CoD4. Up until CoD4 I too loved the WWII genre, but now having sampled modern combat, (accurate weapons etc) I want more of the same. Please explain when you say the SP campaign was "ridiculous and silly"?

Jingle Ord The Way
Joined in 2008

by Jingle Ord The Way » Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:54 pm

Gandalf wrote:
Ord wrote:I really can't wait for this game. I'm actually really happy that it has gone back to the series roots with World War II. Unlike what seems to be every other gamer out there I really like WWII games. The whole scenario for the single player campaign in COD4 just seemed so ridiculous and silly. Anyway there are some more really awesome looking videos released that features more of the co-op gameplay. Some of it looks quite brutal and bloody for a Call Of Duty game.

I'm the total opposite of that. I think there are too many WWII (not saying I don't like playing them) but I was glad they decided to do something fresh with CoD4. Up until CoD4 I too loved the WWII genre, but now having sampled modern combat, (accurate weapons etc) I want more of the same. Please explain when you say the SP campaign was "ridiculous and silly"?

For me the plot in COD4 seemed like an story from the TV show 24 or some crap that Tom Clancy would come up with while sitting on the toilet. I just couldn't take any of it seriously apart from the "All Ghillied Up", "One Shot, One Kill" and "Death From Above" missions. It was great going through the abandoned and overgrown city of Prypyat as what happened in Chernobyl was horrific. The "Death From Above" mission was great too as it was perhaps the most realistic representation of modern combat that I have ever played in a video game. The casual and matter of fact way that your co-pilot announced that there were bit of bodies everywhere was quite chilling. these missions stood out for me because there was a real link to real past events. Chernobyl and the footage that we've all seen of aerial attacks throughout the gulf war.
I just couldn't give a gooseberry fool about the rest of the story. Although the missions that I mentioned are great there was something in the game that just left me cold and I came to the conclusion that the reason for this is because the whole thing is a work of fiction. The World War II Call Of Duty games had more of an impact on me personally because again it is rooted on real world events. It's only a video game and it can in no way simulate the real horror and madness of what these soldiers went through during those battles, however for me at least i find that the WWII COD games had a bigger impact on me than what COD 4 did.

COD 4 had cool weapons though and a great multiplayer. But that's about it as far as i'm concerned.

ImageImage
smurphy
Joined in 2008
AKA: A Little Cocky Child

by smurphy » Thu Oct 02, 2008 6:01 pm

Oh my god, this game looks awful!

Once again another linear, AI-less scripfest. This game may take the crown for least work between sequels ever. Look at the 'downed' animation!

Reminds me of the difference between BF2 and 2142, basically a re-skin. And the guns still look strawberry floating stupid.

Boo!
Joined in 2008

by Boo! » Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:37 pm

smurphy wrote:And the guns still look strawberry floating stupid.

In what way? They look like the real things.

Return to “Games”