3DS - Region Locked

Anything to do with games at all.
The Alchemist Penguin
Joined in 2008

Post3DS - Region Locked
by The Alchemist Penguin » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:21 pm

Direct from Nintendo Japan's Support Department.

ニンテンド ーDS、DS Liteには設定されておりませんが、
There are no Region codes in DS and DSlite
DSi、DSi LL、3DS本 体にはリ ージョンコ ードが設定されております。
But DSI, DSILL,3DS has Region codes.
リ ージョンコ ードはゲ ーム機本 体とゲ ームソフトそれぞれに
The Region Codes are installed in each games and the 3DS itself.
設定されており、 両方のリ ージョンコ ードが一致しないと
If the codes dont match
ご使用いただけません。
You cant play
仕向地 国により、リ ージョンコ ードが異なるため、例えば、
If the region codes are different. For example
日本仕 様のゲ ーム機本 体で韓 国仕 様のゲ ームソフトを動かす
If you play a korean 3DS game with a Japanese 3DS system
(又はその逆)ということができない仕 様となっております。
(or vice versa) you wont be able to play at all.

Completely unacceptable in this day and age. :x :cry:
Custom Firmware a go-go!

Iron Nan
Joined in 2008

PostRe: 3DS - Region Locked
by Iron Nan » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:23 pm

Megasuck. :(

Christopher
Emeritus
Joined in 2008

by Christopher » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:24 pm

Nintendo used to be the pioneers of region free gaming. Game Boy, GBC, GBA, DS all region free and now leave that legacy behind when the world is closer in terms of industry turn over :|

Mafro
Joined in 2008
AKA: based

by Mafro » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:24 pm

lol

Hope it gets hacked asap.

Fisher wrote:shyguy64 did you sell weed in animal crossing new horizons today.

Twitter
Peter Crisp
Joined in 2008

by Peter Crisp » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:26 pm

I have never understood why they do this, is my money not good enough for them if I want a game that's only out in Japan or USA? I remember buying Demon souls (this may be the wrong name) on PS3 before I knew it was going to be available here and I'm sure the people who make the game were glad for the sale :? .

Vermilion wrote:I'd rather live in Luton.
Christopher
Emeritus
Joined in 2008

by Christopher » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:28 pm

The From Software offices after Peter Crisps purchase of Demon's Souls

Peter Crisp
Joined in 2008

by Peter Crisp » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:30 pm

I suppose I should play it for longer than the first few minutes I've managed so far :lol: . I did watch the opening cinematic and start running around a bit but then got intimidated as I'd heard it was ultra hard :shifty: .

Wedgie
Joined in 2008

by Wedgie » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:31 pm

Peter Crisp wrote:I have never understood why they do this, is my money not good enough for them if I want a game that's only out in Japan or USA? I remember buying Demon souls (this may be the wrong name) on PS3 before I knew it was going to be available here and I'm sure the people who make the game were glad for the sale :? .

Ah... but if you went out and buy, let's say Pokemon White from the USA then the Europe division would lose out on the money that they spent on marketing.

So they could free up the niche market by enabling all locks into one game?

Denster wrote:My phone messaged me yesterday after i'd encouraged him to download and play the RESi demo.

Super Intelligent Phones Are Here!!!! We are dooooomed!
Rubix
Joined in 2008

by Rubix » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:32 pm

Didn't we know this already?

PLAY | Final Fantasy VII Rebirth [92h]
WATCH | Ted Lasso S2, HiJack S1, The Apprentice S18
RACE | Westonbirt Half (March), Chew Valley 10k (June), GNR (Sept), Cardiff Half (Oct)
Christopher
Emeritus
Joined in 2008

by Christopher » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:33 pm

Wedgie wrote:
Peter Crisp wrote:I have never understood why they do this, is my money not good enough for them if I want a game that's only out in Japan or USA? I remember buying Demon souls (this may be the wrong name) on PS3 before I knew it was going to be available here and I'm sure the people who make the game were glad for the sale :? .

Ah... but if you went out and buy, let's say Pokemon White from the USA then the Europe division would lose out on the money that they spent on marketing.

Maybe they can do region locks on the games themselves, not the machine itself? So they could free up the niche market by not enabling the locks?

What about games that will never come out here? I wouldn't own collector's editions of Ys Seven or Ys The Oath in Falghana on PSP with region restrictions. I wouldn't own Retro Game Challenge or Nostalgia on DS with region restrictions. This has soured the 3DS for me a little.

Peter Crisp
Joined in 2008

by Peter Crisp » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:33 pm

Just out of interest does anyone in Japan or USA ever import from Europe or is all our stuff considered inferior? Surely that would balance everything out?

Christopher
Emeritus
Joined in 2008

by Christopher » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:34 pm

Peter Crisp wrote:Just out of interest does anyone in Japan or USA ever import from Europe or is all our stuff considered inferior? Surely that would balance everything out?

Sometimes people in America import from here. Not as often as we are forced to.

Mafro
Joined in 2008
AKA: based

by Mafro » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:34 pm

I'll be pirating any games that aren't released here.

Fisher wrote:shyguy64 did you sell weed in animal crossing new horizons today.

Twitter
Wedgie
Joined in 2008

by Wedgie » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:34 pm

suzzopher wrote:
Wedgie wrote:

Maybe they can do region locks on the games themselves, not the machine itself? So they could free up the niche market by not enabling the locks?

What about games that will never come out here? I wouldn't own collector's editions of Ys Seven or Ys The Oath in Falghana on PSP with region restrictions. I wouldn't own Retro Game Challenge on DS with region restrictions. This has soured the 3DS for me a little.

What I mean they could install all region codes on one game, allowing it to play on any region 3DS?

I know that there's a few games on the PS3/360 that don't have region locks.

Denster wrote:My phone messaged me yesterday after i'd encouraged him to download and play the RESi demo.

Super Intelligent Phones Are Here!!!! We are dooooomed!
Beans
Joined in 2008

by Beans » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:35 pm

SEP
Member ♥
Joined in 2008
AKA: Moggy

by SEP » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:36 pm

I've only ever imported one game in my entire life. This does not bother me.

The Alchemist Penguin
Joined in 2008

by The Alchemist Penguin » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:36 pm

At the end of the day, Nintendo still get the same amount of game sales. Region-locking suits badly managed companies, with separate subsidiaries in separate markets, completely ignoring the fact that people don't really work like that anymore. It actually *is* a genuine help to small companies, as they're able to leverage region-locking to get published in other regions (Atlus is a well known example of this), but something tells me Nintendo aren't doing this for the good of small companies, merely the large ones which should know better.

I've never seen even a single bit of compelling evidence to suggest that importing was a big enough issue to have even the slightest impact on regional sales.

Peter Crisp wrote:Just out of interest does anyone in Japan or USA ever import from Europe or is all our stuff considered inferior? Surely that would balance everything out?

NOE have released a few games here that the US hasn't got, such as Disaster: Day of Crisis, Another Code R, Last Window etc... The worst thing is most companies simply go Japan > US, then maybe > Europe, but Nintendo have a habit of going Japan > Europe which means that either region of the 3DS is going to miss out.

Christopher
Emeritus
Joined in 2008

by Christopher » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:37 pm

Wedgie wrote:What I mean they could install all region codes on one game, allowing it to play on any region 3DS?

I know that there's a few games on the PS3/360 that don't have region locks.

Sounds unlikely. ALL PS3 games are region free. So many great niche 360 games remain stuck in Japan :x

TheTurnipKing
Joined in 2008

by TheTurnipKing » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:41 pm

Somebody Else's Problem wrote:I've only ever imported one game in my entire life. This does not bother me.

Having the option is always nice.

The more I hear about the 3DS, the less appealing owning one is.

OwenDarko
Joined in 2008

by OwenDarko » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:43 pm

Sorry if this is a stupid question but i suppose DS games from US won't work on a UK 3DS then? I only have 2 (sold most of my DS games is month in anticipation for 3DS launch) but one is 999! So I better complete that quickly! :fp:

Return to “Games”