Return of the Commodore 64

Anything to do with games at all.
Jamo3103
Joined in 2008

PostReturn of the Commodore 64
by Jamo3103 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:25 am

Just spotted this on IGN, bit late for an April Fools though!

Commodore 64 Reborn
The popular home computer and gaming system from 1982 is back and better than ever with modern components
US, April 6, 2011

Nearly 30 years after its initial debut, the Commodore 64 has returned as a modernized throwback to its former self, boasting the same look and feel of the original but with new and improved innards.

The new Commodore 64 is set to release later this year and will come in five different configurations, ranging from $250 to $895, with the cheapest configuration serving only basic functionality and the most expensive sporting an Intel Atom D525 1.8GHz Dual-Core processor, NVIDIA ION2 GPU, 4GBs of memory, Wi-Fi support, Blu-ray drive, and 1TB hard drive. It will also support full 1080p output via HDMI and feature a variety of other connection options.

Released in 1982, the Commodore 64 was one of the most successful home computers of its time and a popular gaming platform with games like Archon, Karate Master, and Choplifter.

The new Commodore 64 is available for purchase now on Commodore's official website, though a release date or shipping times have not been detailed.

http://www.commodoreusa.net/CUSA_C64.aspx

Thoughts? :?

Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008
AKA: Moggy

PostRe: Return of the Commodore 64
by Moggy » Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:06 am

:wub:

Although I had this pack (different shaped computer):

TheTurnipKing
Joined in 2008

by TheTurnipKing » Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:41 am

Coconut Bob wrote:Just spotted this on IGN, bit late for an April Fools though!

Commodore 64 Reborn
The popular home computer and gaming system from 1982 is back and better than ever with modern components
US, April 6, 2011

Nearly 30 years after its initial debut, the Commodore 64 has returned as a modernized throwback to its former self, boasting the same look and feel of the original but with new and improved innards.

The new Commodore 64 is set to release later this year and will come in five different configurations, ranging from $250 to $895, with the cheapest configuration serving only basic functionality and the most expensive sporting an Intel Atom D525 1.8GHz Dual-Core processor, NVIDIA ION2 GPU, 4GBs of memory, Wi-Fi support, Blu-ray drive, and 1TB hard drive. It will also support full 1080p output via HDMI and feature a variety of other connection options.

Released in 1982, the Commodore 64 was one of the most successful home computers of its time and a popular gaming platform with games like Archon, Karate Master, and Choplifter.

The new Commodore 64 is available for purchase now on Commodore's official website, though a release date or shipping times have not been detailed.

http://www.commodoreusa.net/CUSA_C64.aspx

Thoughts? :?

The idea is neat, but calling it a C64 when it clearly is no such thing is a bit of a mean trick. it's a Mini-ITX PC in sheeps clothing.

I also don't think it's an April Fools. Micro Mart have been reporting on stuff like this for some time.

There's a few Amiga OS computers in the works as well, and a couple of companies with the brand name attaching it to crap Android tablets.

Drunken_Master
Joined in 2008

by Drunken_Master » Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:06 am

Rubbish.

The C64 was known as a gaming computer. You'd struggle to play anything new on this machine. With its crappy Atom and weakass ION2 graphics solution.

Prime Directives : Prosecute those who steal memes from other forums. :fp:
TheTurnipKing
Joined in 2008

by TheTurnipKing » Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:20 am

Drunken_Master wrote:Rubbish.

The C64 was known as a gaming computer. You'd struggle to play anything new on this machine. With its crappy Atom and weakass ION2 graphics solution.

I'm kind of torn, to be honest. Anything designed for a netbook should see you right. I daresay it's reasonable enough in it's niche as a home computer.

That said, if they're going to handicap the system that much, they might as well have just gone the whole hog, dropped the price significantly and put one of those C64-on-a-chips in there.

Gemini73

by Gemini73 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:33 am

Still have my C64 with games and QuickShot II joystick. This is an imposter.

Drunken_Master
Joined in 2008

by Drunken_Master » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:08 am

TheTurnipKing wrote:
Drunken_Master wrote:Rubbish.

I'm kind of torn, to be honest. Anything designed for a netbook should see you right. I daresay it's reasonable enough in it's niche as a home computer.

That said, if they're going to handicap the system that much, they might as well have just gone the whole hog, dropped the price significantly and put one of those C64-on-a-chips in there.

It's a nice idea. It really is. Putting a PC in the shell of one of these old computers gives it character. Far more interesting the boxes we have today. However, that spec is awful. It's good enough for portable computing, and for use as a HTPC. But for day to day computing? Nah.

And unless your going to play C64 games on it, gaming is out of the question too. Shame.

TheTurnipKing
Joined in 2008

by TheTurnipKing » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:32 am

I'd have thought an Atom would have had enough grunt for a lot of retro emulators.

And by home computer, I mean "run OpenOffice".

Shadow
Joined in 2008

by Shadow » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:48 am

This is mean, C64 was the first gaming machine I ever owned and I feel obliged to buy one of these, it's like it's a part of my history.

Will it have official support for C64 games? Either by tape deck or official emulator?

Drunken_Master
Joined in 2008

by Drunken_Master » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:49 am

TheTurnipKing wrote:I'd have thought an Atom would have had enough grunt for a lot of retro emulators.

Yeah, but what's the point of spending £400 on that? Just think of how much computing power you could buy for that kind of cash. I could build a rig that'd run Crysis 2 at high details (possibly maxxed)for that.

TheTurnipKing
Joined in 2008

by TheTurnipKing » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:51 am

Drunken_Master wrote:
TheTurnipKing wrote:I'd have thought an Atom would have had enough grunt for a lot of retro emulators.

Yeah, but what's the point of spending £400 on that? Just think of how much computing power you could buy for that kind of cash. I could build a rig that'd run Crysis 2 at high details (possibly maxxed)for that.

Oh, gooseberry fool. You mean that's the high-end spec? :lol: :fp:

Drunken_Master
Joined in 2008

by Drunken_Master » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:54 am

TheTurnipKing wrote:
Drunken_Master wrote:

Oh, gooseberry fool. You mean that's the high-end spec? :lol: :fp:

http://www.commodoreusa.net/CUSA_C64Select.aspx

My opinion was based on the $595 model.

Qty Product QuickFind Stock Price Line Total
AMD Athlon 640 Bundle including AMD Athlon II X4 640 AM3 processor, ASUS AM3 M4A78LT-M LE mATX Motherboard and Geil Value 2GB DDR3 1333 Memory 257991 193 in stock £136.07 £136.07
CM Storm Scout + Coolermaster Silent Pro 700W Modular PSU *Special Offer Bundle* 177749 300 in stock £129.99 £129.99
Samsung HD103SJ Spinpoint F3 1TB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 32MB Cache 173804 > 100 in stock £39.99 £39.99
Sapphire HD 5770 1GB GDDR5 DVI HDMI DisplayPort PCI-E Graphics Card 262260 91 in stock £97.98 £97.98

What £400 will buy you. Please note: I haven't skimped on a cheap ass case/cheap ass power supply. Doing so could have reduced the price to the £300 odd region. I've also included a very competitive graphics card. This machine would be capable of maxing out Crysis 2.

Last edited by Drunken_Master on Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

TheTurnipKing
Joined in 2008

by TheTurnipKing » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:57 am

$250 for the case?

OK, I suppose that's not entirely unreasonable. It's expensive for what it is, but it is both a classic and unique design, and it's not a totally unreasonable cost for a PC case, I guess. Technically, I guess you could crowbar whatever spec you'd like in there, size and heat restrictions permitting. I mean, I'm fairly sure you could get mini itx i5 boards, though I'm guessing the Atom is used for the low profile and potential passive cooling properties.

Last edited by TheTurnipKing on Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:04 am, edited 4 times in total.
Shadow
Joined in 2008

by Shadow » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:58 am

:o

It boots to Commodore OS 1.0!!!

strawberry float yeah!

TheTurnipKing
Joined in 2008

by TheTurnipKing » Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:00 am

Shadow wrote::o

It boots to Commodore OS 1.0!!!
strawberry float yeah!

It doesn't... yet. They'll ship you that "when it's ready".

Units come with the Ubuntu 10.04 LTS operating system on disk ready to install.
Commodore OS 1.0, along with emulation functionality and classic game package, will be mailed to purchasers when available

Fortunately I don't think being bundled with a C64 emulator is really all that big a deal ;)

Shadow
Joined in 2008

by Shadow » Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:06 am

Very tempted by the mid-range one.. works out at £425

$77 for postage though - not cool.

Dandy Kong
Joined in 2008
AKA: Dandy Kong

by Dandy Kong » Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:18 am

Meh...

When my parents moved house I took the old Commodore 64 with me, thinking I would relive 'the old days' and play all the games I played back in the day. I haven't hooked it up to a TV once.

I downloaded Impossible Mission on the Wii VC. Played it once or twice, then got bored with it.

I guess I'll let the past be the past and think back to all the C64 games I played back then through rose tinted glasses.

Floex
Joined in 2008

by Floex » Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:53 am

Shadow wrote:Very tempted by the mid-range one.. works out at £425

:| Someone remind me, what year is this?

TheTurnipKing
Joined in 2008

by TheTurnipKing » Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:57 am

Floex wrote:
Shadow wrote:Very tempted by the mid-range one.. works out at £425

:| Someone remind me, what year is this?

Relax chief, it's not really a C64, it's an expensive custom mini-ITX PC case.

DeadFish
Joined in 2008

by DeadFish » Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:56 pm

I still have original C64 in my cupboard :D

Wonderful machine.

Return to “Games”