The PC vs Console Thread

Anything to do with games at all.
Garth
Emeritus
Joined in 2008

PostThe PC vs Console Thread
by Garth » Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:58 pm

PC vs console arguments seem to be derailing many threads in GGC these days, which can be irritating for those of us who are tired of it, so I think it's about time this discussion had its own dedicated thread where you can be free to talk about it as much as you like without being told to get back on topic or threads ending up locked.

Please try to keep heated PC vs console arguments out of other threads - if it does kick off again in other threads, those posts will be deleted in their entirety. Feel free to report offending posts dated after the creation of this thread.

I know some of you feel very passionately about this subject, but if you think someone else's point of view is downright ridiculous, or someone attacks you on a personal level, that isn't a free pass for you to break the forum rules. Punishments will be handed out for any name-calling, personal attacks, trolling or other breaches of the rules.

Keep the discussion civil.

Enjoy!

Edit - added this for clarity:
Garth wrote:If a thread is becoming derailed by a heated PC vs console argument (as seems to be happening a lot these days), our community can point you here where you can be free to carry on your discussion in a more civil manner and leave the other thread in peace. This is an alternative to threads being locked and two discussions ending (the original thread and the pc vs console debate), which for instance KP had to do today. Now both discussions can continue!
If a PC vs console discussion in a thread remains civil, isn't just a replay of the same old bickering and suits the thread it's in, I think that would be fine. The uncivil heated arguments will be removed.

Let's give it a go and see how it turns out. Several have pointed out here and via PM that they'd like the moderators to crack the whip in GGC more often, so that's being discussed in the staff room right now too.

Just think, this thread could be a wonderful place where you can go into the most minute detail as to why PCs or consoles are better - let the discussion floweth!

False
COOL DUDE
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The PC vs Console Discussion Thread - keep it all in her
by False » Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:06 am

This will go well.

KjGarly
Joined in 2008
AKA: TheArbiter

by KjGarly » Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:06 am

If you enjoy console gaming then great. If you enjoy PC gaming then great. Just stop trying to make a banana split of those who don't share your preferred choice in what you play your games on.

Simples.

Mafro
Joined in 2008
AKA: based

by Mafro » Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:09 am

Garth wrote:PC vs console arguments seem to be derailing many threads in GGC these days, which can be irritating for those of us who are tired of it, so I think it's about time this discussion had its own dedicated thread where you can be free to talk about it as much as you like without being told to get back on topic or threads ending up locked.

Please try to keep PC vs console arguments out of other threads - if heated PC vs console bickering does kick off again in other threads, those posts will be deleted in their entirety. Feel free to report offending posts dated after the creation of this thread.

I know some of you feel very passionately about this subject, but if you think someone else's point of view is downright ridiculous, or someone attacks you on a personal level, that isn't a free pass for you to break the forum rules. Punishments will be handed out for any name-calling, personal attacks, trolling or other breaches of the rules.

Keep the discussion civil.

Enjoy!

1. Will we be having a separate PS3 vs 360 discussion thread too?

2. If there was actual moderation from the mods then maybe this wouldn't be a problem in the first place.

Fisher wrote:shyguy64 did you sell weed in animal crossing new horizons today.

Twitter
Chemical Imbalance
Joined in 2011

by Chemical Imbalance » Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:10 am

PSP > PC Gaming.

Jingle Ord The Way
Joined in 2008

by Jingle Ord The Way » Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:11 am

KjGarly wrote:If you enjoy console gaming then great. If you enjoy PC gaming then great. Just stop trying to make a banana split of those who don't share your preferred choice in what you play your games on.

Simples.

Totally agree. Sadly common sense and the internet don't mix. :(

ImageImage
HSH28
Joined in 2008

by HSH28 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:16 am

Anyone who can't accept that any aspect of either choice might not be the best thing ever, is quite clearly nuts.

PCs are more expensive up front and for the vast majority of people they are more expensive for ever.

This does not mean that PC games are pointless. Being the cheapest option isn't always the best thing. There are clear benefits to being more expensive, a PC can clearly do more things than a console. This doesn't mean console games are pointless either.

Only being able to accept one side of an argument like this as valid is down right dumb.

Skarjo
Emeritus
Joined in 2008

by Skarjo » Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:18 am

Karl wrote:Can't believe I got baited into expressing a political stance on hentai

Skarjo's Scary Stories...
Chemical Imbalance
Joined in 2011

by Chemical Imbalance » Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:27 am

No, it's not growing because of the consoles age. The console caters to a completely different type of gamer. The type of gamer that doesn't know much and needs everything done for them.

I'd say on the whole PC gamers on average would have more knowledge about the systems they use, it doesn't mean it'll be the only successful platform in the future like Cal suggested.

On the note that console gamers suck at games because they're not 'knowledgeable', knowledge =/= intelligence. I play TF2 and CSS all of the time on PC and a lot of people are strawberry floating idiots on those games. Back in the day on another forum I use, I played the PC only gamers on a random game night and I absolutely trashed them at CSS, why? Because as a Halo player I know more than anyone that intelligent play, teamwork and good map manoeuvring are way more important than simply having a keyboard and mouse. High level teamwork is not exclusive to any game, you're always going to come up against people who are skilled at a game and you're always going to have to adapt to beat them. Whether COD or Battlefield or Yoshi's Cookie, it never changes.

I mean, look at the fighting scene. One of the most sophisticated competitive scenes in the industry, it's strawberry floating dead on the PC. Does that mean PC gamers are inept at fighting games? No.

Most of us play the good exclusives on consoles, most of us are just fans of good games and want a quality game experience. People who buy a PC are clearly a different breed of gamer.

I have a mid range PC, I can play the few decent PC exclusives out there whilst being able to chill on xbl with my friends. I don't need to switch to PC gaming because it's finally getting the first sign of prioritised support for the first time in years. If that continues when the new consoles come out then fair enough, I'll wait and see.

Gaming on the PC is again more accessible than ever.

Which is a far cry from how accessible console gaming is.

Kids are growing up with free to play games, TF2 has just indoctrinated a whole new generation of kids in high school who can play TF on low on their school computers.

Oh really, you have evidence that in the last new months 'a whole new generation' of kids decided to ignore their older brothers and opted for TF2 instead of COD?

Last edited by Chemical Imbalance on Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mafro
Joined in 2008
AKA: based

by Mafro » Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:32 am

Chemical Imbalance wrote:
No, it's not growing because of the consoles age. The console caters to a completely different type of gamer. The type of gamer that doesn't know much and needs everything done for them.

I'd say on the whole PC gamers on average would have more knowledge about the systems they use, it doesn't mean it'll be the only successful platform in the future like Cal suggested.

On the note that console gamers suck at games because they're not 'knowledgeable', knowledge =/= intelligence. I play TF2 and CSS all of the time on PC and a lot of people are strawberry floating idiots on those games. Back in the day on another forum I use, I played the PC only gamers on a random game night and I absolutely trashed them at CSS, why? Because as a Halo player I know more than anyone that intelligent play, teamwork and good map manoeuvring are way more important than simply having a keyboard and mouse. High level teamwork is not exclusive to any game, you're always going to come up against people who are skilled at a game and you're always going to have to adapt to beat them. Whether COD or Battlefield or Yoshi's Cookie, it never changes.

I mean, look at the fighting scene. One of the most sophisticated competitive scenes in the industry, it's strawberry floating dead on the PC. Does that mean PC gamers are inept at fighting games? No.

Most of us play the good exclusives on consoles, most of us are just fans of good games and want a quality game experience. People who buy a PC are clearly a different breed of gamer.

I have a mid range PC, I can play the few decent PC exclusives out there whilst being able to chill on xbl with my friends. I don't need to switch to PC gaming because it's finally getting the first sign of prioritised support for the first time in years. If that continues when the new consoles come out then fair enough, I'll wait and see.

Gaming on the PC is again more accessible than ever.

Which is a far cry from how accessible console gaming is.

Kids are growing up with free to play games, TF2 has just indoctrinated a whole new generation of kids in high school who can play TF on low on their school computers.

Oh really, you have evidence that in the last new months 'a whole new generation' of kids decided to ignore their older brothers and opted for TF2 instead of COD?

Hi, Born Stellar.

Fisher wrote:shyguy64 did you sell weed in animal crossing new horizons today.

Twitter
Chemical Imbalance
Joined in 2011

by Chemical Imbalance » Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:32 am

Whatsup Doc?

Buffalo
Emeritus
Joined in 2008

PostThe PC vs Console Discussion Thread - keep it all in here!
by Buffalo » Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:02 am

Discussion only gets out of hand when people refuse to be civil. Make the forum experience civil, the moderators can get it done, so threads like this don't need to exist.

1cmanny1
Member ♥
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The PC vs Console Thread - keep it all in here!
by 1cmanny1 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:41 am

Im not sure if this is a good idea.

This is a forum, we are suppose to talk about things. And it will probably not be contained to this thread, people usually make threads about things that lead into this argument. They don't wake up one day and decide they want to argue about PC vs Console :lol: (I am probably wrong about that.)

The problem is not the discussions or the view points. The problem is that you get, for example, two people each with their own viewpoints. Then they tell each other that their view point is right, and the other one is wrong.
Now again, I think that is okay, if that happens in real life, you either get one side saying "Yes you are right, I was wrong" or they agree to disagree.
However, due to the internet tough guy effect, no side gives way what so ever. So you get two people basically saying the same thing over and over again, and of course this leads to frustration.

So I very doubt it will be kept to this thread. The best thing is to discipline the people who are being over the top. I mean, the thread is a good idea and I encourage people to start yelling. However its only a matter of time before it comes up in another thread, which is very hard and almost unfair to stop.

Garth
Emeritus
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The PC vs Console Thread
by Garth » Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:07 am

If a thread is becoming derailed by a heated PC vs console argument (as seems to be happening a lot these days), our community can point you here where you can be free to carry on your discussion in a more civil manner and leave the other thread in peace. This is an alternative to threads being locked and two discussions ending (the original thread and the pc vs console debate), which for instance KP had to do today. Now both discussions can continue!
If a PC vs console discussion in a thread remains civil, isn't just a replay of the same old bickering and suits the thread it's in, I think that would be fine. The uncivil heated arguments will be removed.

Let's give it a go and see how it turns out. Several have pointed out here and via PM that they'd like the moderators to crack the whip in GGC more often, so that's being discussed in the staff room right now too.

Just think, this thread could be a wonderful place where you can go into the most minute detail as to why PCs or consoles are better - let the discussion floweth!

tomvek
Member ♥
Joined in 2008

by tomvek » Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:37 am

I have to say I love both PC and console gaming. Seeing as a large majority of my friends have a 360 I get most of the big multiplayer titles for it. While I play most of my games on console I also love playing things like Team Fortress and Counter Strike on PC with my more PC centric friends. Games I love like Civ, COH, Football manager are a lot better suited to PC. If they did bring out good console ports of those games then I would definitely consider getting them for 360/PS3 if the control schemes are decently implemented. Civ Rev was really good fun on console and I'll be nabbing The Witcher 2 on 360 when it comes out as the port is looking good and it has all the add-on content.

I always think you should just buy the games you want for the platform that suits you best. As long as you're having fun with them then that's all that matters.

Bottom line, PC and consoles are both great :wub:

melatonin
Joined in 2008

by melatonin » Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:06 am

Buffalo wrote:the moderators can get it done.

Oh, you.

Venom wrote:Say what you want but if this Halo TV series is a BIG BUDGET Game of Thrones style series with Spielberg directly producing this could be a Band of Brothers in space.
Donk
Joined in 2009
AKA: Donk

by Donk » Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:18 am

Mafro wrote:1. Will we be having a separate PS3 vs 360 discussion thread too?

2. If there was actual moderation from the mods then maybe this wouldn't be a problem in the first place.

SchminkyPinky
Joined in 2008

by SchminkyPinky » Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:54 am

Amstrad Mega PC was the future and you all ignored it. Now we wallow in the multi-format filth.

Rog
Member ♥
Joined in 2008

by Rog » Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:00 am

Mafro wrote:

A million times this. The 360 guys troll, the PS3 guys troll, the PC guys troll. Get the mods to do their job and stop the trolling.

Rik has been trolled to death but on the other side he himself is a huge troll. He's jumping on this disabled thing Silva posted but this only flared up when he was warned.........for trolling. That is really why he's seen his arse. Trolling on all sides has made GGC the shithole it is. Him using the disabled comment to try and pressure what he wants on the forum is a joke.

With that being said.......Rik shouldn't leave and neither should Silva be banned, the mods need to do their job and stop the trolling. If neither stops then dish out the bans but at the minute there seems to be no unity or consistency in the moderation. The PC group shouldn't be targeted. All the trolls from all formats need to be put in line.

This is all I'm going to say on it. I am a PCS guy but I don't get with all the bickering. I just want to enjoy games and talk about them.

Death's Head
Joined in 2009

by Death's Head » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:01 am

This represents pretty much what is wrong with this forum. It is supposed to be a games forum where we talk about games. This kind of topic is clearly going to end in arguments because there are too many people on this forum who have a favourite platform (which is not a problem in itself) and then need to ridicule and insult others who don't share their view.

Lock this crap now.

Yes?

Return to “Games”