Floex
Joined in 2008

PostFallout 3
by Floex » Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:43 pm

America's first choice in Post Nuclear Simulation

Fallout 3

Published by: Bethesda Softworks
Developed by: Bethesda Softworks
Release Date: October 31st, 2008 (UK), October 28th, 2008 (US)
Genre: RPG
Formats: xbox 360, PS3 and PC
Official Website: http://fallout.bethsoft.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Normal Edition

ImageImageImage

Collector's Edition

Game - Collector's Edition

Survival Guide To The World Of Fallout 3

Survival Guide

Shacknews
Eurogamer: 10/10
GameSpy: 5/5
OXM US: 10/10
GameFocus: 9.8/10
PlanetXbox360: 9.8/10
MEGamers: 9.7/10
IGN: 9.6/10
1UP: A
GamePlayer: 9.5/10
Gaming Excellence: 9.5/10
IGN AU: 9.5/10
WorthPlaying: 9.5/10
IGN (PS3): 9.4/10
TeamXbox: 9.4/10
Xbox World 360/CVG: 9.3/10
Kikizo: 9/10
OXM UK: 9/10
PC PowerPlay: 90%
PSM3/GamesRadar: 9/10
Total PlayStation: 9/10
VideoGamer: 9/10
IGN UK: 8.8/10
GameShark: B+
IncGamers: 8.3/10
GameDaily: 8/10
Giant Bomb: 4/5

Credit to Garth for compiling reviews

The Pitt DLC

Bethesda Softworks has announced that The Pitt, the second downloadable expansion for the PC and Xbox 360 versions of Fallout 3, will be released on 24th March.

As previously announced, The Pitt will share the same price point as January's Operation: Anchorage: 800 Microsoft Points (GBP 6.80 / EUR 9.60).

For those who haven't been keeping up, The Pitt takes you outside the Capital Wasteland into Pittsburgh, where you become embroiled in a dispute between slaves and their owners, and has more in common with general Fallout 3 gameplay than the combat-heavy Anchorage instalment.

Sarge wrote:Operation Anchorage Unveiled

It's hard to imagine anybody already doing everything in Fallout 3 already, but I guess that's why they call some gamers hardcore. Whether you've finished Fallout 3 or not, you're probably already looking forward to the downloadable add-ons coming to Xbox 360 and PC early next year. IGN recently had the chance to learn more about the three pieces of downloadable content (DLC) that have already been announced by way of Jeff Gardiner, lead producer for Fallout 3 DLC. The focus of the interview was January's DLC, titled Operation Anchorage, but we also learned a bit about the next two downloads as well.

IGN: The liberation of Alaska was hinted at a lot during Fallout 3. What can we expect out of that simulated battle?

Jeff Gardiner: In Operation: Anchorage the player will find themselves able to re-live the famous liberation of Anchorage from Fallout lore -- inside a simulation similar to one found along the main quest of Fallout 3. Once the player finds their way into the simulation, they'll be stripped of their resources and have to survive within the rules set up by the simulation's creators.

The Chinese red army is everywhere, and the player will first have to secure the surrounding mountain side and then fight their way into the Chinese base. The player will have to use a lot of their standard combat skills, along with several new tools that will only be available in the downloadable content. These include interactive Strike Teams under the player's command and unique armor, weapons, and other exotic gadgets.

IGN: A lot of quests in Fallout 3 were slightly different depending upon your character (mostly through dialogue options). Can we expect the same for Operation Anchorage?

Gardiner: Operation: Anchorage focuses mainly on a combat/stealth path. It's important to our team to use DLC as a way for us to flex our creativity, to try new things and answer the "wouldn't have been cool if we did this?" question that always comes up towards a games completion; when it's too late to try them! Don't worry, we're trying something a little different with all of our upcoming content so there will be plenty of the morally gray, multiple path quest lines everyone loves the franchise for.

IGN: Do you expect title updates to fix a few outstanding bugs to come along with Operation Anchorage?

Gardiner: We are releasing an update for all versions of Fallout 3 prior to the release of this DLC. We take pride in fixing issues that are found by our fans and posted in our forums.

IGN: How will the simulation of the battle work? Will we be teleported to a new area or will it all take place within a computer?

Gardiner: Since this is a simulation of a battle that took place in the past, it is taking place within a computer. It's a "what if" scenario, created by the Government in order to test different counter-offensives against the red menace.

IGN: How exactly will players access Operation Anchorage after purchasing the download? Will there be a specific place they'll have to go to in order to start the quest?

Gardiner: There will be a new quest objective and map marker for the player to travel to. You can play through this content at any level, once you've exited the Vault.

IGN: The liberation of Anchorage must have taken place before the entire country was destroyed. How different will the art style be for this download?

Gardiner: Anchorage has a vastly different art style. It's taking place in the frozen north; so you have a very bright ice/snow color pallet. We've had a massive amount of art resources at our disposal, most of what the player will experience was created from scratch. We've also taken a lot of time to create a bunch of 'animation vignettes' to make the soldiers and other NPCs interact with the world in better, more convincing ways then anything we were able to do with the Fallout 3 main game.

IGN: Will Operation Anchorage include anything aside from new quests? Can we expect new weapons and armor to outfit our last best hope of humanity? What about new achievements?

Gardiner: It will include new weapons, armor and achievements! It's full of top-secret technology used by both sides during the war, which the player will of course be able to use throughout the main game as well.

IGN: Will the download bring any new perks? My cannibal is hungry for more.

Gardiner: Yes, there will be a new perk included with the content! I won't get into details, but it's named "Covert Ops."

IGN: We're not expecting something as big as Shivering Isles for this first batch of DLC, but how lengthy is Operation Anchorage?

Gardiner: It's about four or five hours, depending on play style. Plus, it will give you new weaponry and other tools that the player can use through the main game.

IGN: How much will Operation Anchorage cost?

Gardiner: 800 Points.

IGN: Will any of the three downloads come with a lift of the level 20 cap?

Gardiner: Yes, the plan is currently for the third DLC, Broken Steel, to increase the level cap. This will be accompanied by new foes, perks and all of the other Fallout 3 staples our fans expect.

IGN: The second piece of downloadable content, The Pitt, takes place in Pittsburgh. As that city is a bit farther away from the coast and the epicenter of DC, is it in the same state of ruin as what we've seen in Fallout 3?

Gardiner: While Pittsburgh wasn't directly hit in the nuclear onslaught, it's still had years of decay. The surrounding water is also heavily irradiated, which tends to have an effect on those that live near it...

IGN: Not to spoil the end of Fallout 3, but extending the story in the Broken Steel download might be a bit tricky. Will the main character still continue through for that storyline? Will he or she be usable in the other downloads?

Gardiner: Based on a lot of feedback, we're going to allow the player to continue on after the main quest ends in the Broken Steel DLC. While a lot of details still have to be sorted, this will allow the player to continue on and play in the Wasteland enjoying the side and freeform quests, along with any new downloadable content we have planned in the future.

IGN: Dogmeat armor?

Gardiner: We've gotten a mountain of mail requesting this, but sadly it's not planned yet!

clicky

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

Fallout Goes Gold - 08/10/08 Ready To ship
Giant Bomb - 01/10/08 Giant Bomb Preview
Team Xbox - 01/10/08 Team Xbox Preview
IGN - 01/10/08 PS3 Preview
IGN - 29/09/08 6 Hours of Play Preview
Shacknews - 31/08/08 Future DLC & More
Gamespot - 21/08/08 Gamespot
IGN - 20/08/08 IGN
Eurogamer - 18/8/08 Bethesda Softworks' Pete Hines
Eurogamer - 12/8/08 Eurogamer
Videogamer - 05/08/08 VideoGamer
IGN - 8/8/08 IGN
1up - 7/15/08 1up

Latest

20/08/08

ImageImageImage

17/08/08 - Kotaku

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Eurogamer

Latest Videos

19/09/08

Propaganda Videos

29/08/08

Escape Demo Spoiler
Megaton Spoiler
The Wasteland Spoiler
Super-Duper Mart Spoiler
Tenpenny Tower Spoiler

18/08/08

Gamespot E3 Stage Demo
IGN LiveWire Demo
Gametrailers
[color=#4000FF][u]

Last edited by Floex on Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:25 pm, edited 45 times in total.
Daniel
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Fallout 3
by Daniel » Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:47 pm

Behind GOW 2 and Fable as my most anitcpated Game of the rest of the year!

Rax
Joined in 2008
AKA: Raxicori

by Rax » Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:11 pm

Does the collectors edition have a proper DVD case in it or does it have a wierd one? Hate when I gert a special edition and it comes in a crap case, Viva Pinata Im looking at you.

Hulohot
Joined in 2008
AKA: dan_e1990

by Hulohot » Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:12 pm

Quite looking forward to this. Anything that is like Oblivion is bound to be awesome.

Sarge

PostRe: Fallout 3 - Vault boy Wants You!
by Sarge » Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:29 pm

I loved Oblivion (faults and all) so I'll definitely be picking this up day one.

I only have one small concern, nearly all the footage of the wasteland has been just that, wasteland...there seem to be very few buildings/places of interest. I'm hoping that's due to the devs not wanting to spoil anything by showing them, but I can't help but worry the game (for the most part) will be you & your dog roaming a barren wasteland meeting only a few bandits along the way.

Last edited by Sarge on Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tnman
Joined in 2008

by tnman » Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:33 pm

Hulohot wrote:Quite looking forward to this. Anything that is like Oblivion is bound to be awesome.

I thought Oblivion was fantastic too, but I honestly can't see the appeal in this.

From what I saw of the E3 videos, everything was grey. It seemed dull, horrible and lifeless. Even if this is basically the look they were going for, it's not something I'm going to enjoy wandering around and exploring in.

Also, the battles. In Oblivion you run up and mace some gooseberry fool or set it on fire. In Fallout, to be effective, you seemed to have to s-l-o-w down, take aim, fire, and then move on. It was quite jarring.

Also, NPCs. Are there any? There was a cute little floaty robot in the vid I watched but that's it.

It's quite disconcerting just how much I want to be swayed to spend my money on this game - especially as I haven't completed Oblivion and am off to uni - but I honestly can't see the appeal here.

Tell me I'm stupid and explain why all of my points are wrong.

Dr Kelso wrote:I only play Pac-Man and that car-jack game. There's nothing quite like scoring a caddy and mowing down street hos.
Kanbei
Member ♥
Joined in 2008

by Kanbei » Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:44 pm

Please be good, there was something "off" with the demo shown with E3, worried that it could get repetitive...

consolegaming
Joined in 2008

by consolegaming » Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:48 pm

Looking forward to this, i found oblvion a genuinely surprising experience, something which had so much depth i simply did not have the time to dedicate to one game, but if it was the only game out i would have enjoyed it more.

I would hope fallout 3 is more main quest driven, not to the extent of gta 4, but oblivions main quest took me 15 hours, 25 hours for fallout 3 plus all of the extras would make me very happy.

Cuttooth
Emeritus
Joined in 2008

by Cuttooth » Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:58 pm

tnman wrote:From what I saw of the E3 videos, everything was grey. It seemed dull, horrible and lifeless. Even if this is basically the look they were going for, it's not something I'm going to enjoy wandering around and exploring in.

It's set in a post-nuclear Washington D.C it was always going to be grey save for some of surrounding area.

Also, the battles. In Oblivion you run up and mace some gooseberry fool or set it on fire. In Fallout, to be effective, you seemed to have to s-l-o-w down, take aim, fire, and then move on. It was quite jarring.

You can still do real-time combat it's just that they have developed a system that would appear to be very true to the original two games' turn based approach. The game is an RPG first and foremost.

Also, NPCs. Are there any? There was a cute little floaty robot in the vid I watched but that's it.

Yes plenty, without the identical voices like in Oblivion.

My hopes for this game aren't astronomical but I can definitely see this as being a great and faithful game at least.

Hulohot
Joined in 2008
AKA: dan_e1990

by Hulohot » Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:06 pm

I took the day off of school when Oblivion was released and anxiously sat by the window waiting for the postman to arrive with it. He did, and I didnt stop playing it until about 3 that morning. The next day I was on it for like 10 hours. The same each day for 2 weeks.

I'm not expecting the same with this, but it would be a pleasant suprise if there is similar amount of content.

marillion Col
Joined in 2008

by marillion Col » Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:06 pm

I'm actually quite interested in this, although I'm not sure about the combat from what I've seen. I wasn't a fan of Oblivion, so I'm not really sure I'd like this, but I'm definitely keeping my eye on it.

Find a better way of life - www.marillion.com
Pancake
Joined in 2008

by Pancake » Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:21 pm

Exploring the sight of nuclear devastation? Yup, both this and 'Chibi Robo and the Empty Shelf' are topping my hype list.

Absolutely Zero
Joined in 2008
AKA: f3333f

by Absolutely Zero » Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:11 pm

I have concerns for this but hopefully the good (lots of good) bits should outweigh the bad, there might not even be any bad im just being pesimistic in case it's only the 2nd best thing ever!

Dante
Joined in 2008
AKA: DanteCWA

by Dante » Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:31 pm

As a huge fan of the original games and a big fan of Oblivion. I'm so excited by this; only fable II out does this game for my most wanted of the year.

tis looking special - very special so far.

Come join the GRcade World of Warcraft guild on the EU "The Maelstrom" server
Tanks wanted!
GRcadians!
Stargazer
Joined in 2008

by Stargazer » Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:35 pm

Hulohot wrote:Quite looking forward to this. Anything that is like Oblivion is bound to be awesome.

This is Oblivion-like? Where do I pre-order! :mrgreen:

Mafro
Joined in 2008
AKA: based

by Mafro » Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:28 pm

Go the collector's edition pre-ordered.

Fisher wrote:shyguy64 did you sell weed in animal crossing new horizons today.

Twitter
kuliand
Joined in 2008

by kuliand » Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:40 pm

looking good so far but my money will have to go to the better of this and fable 2.

Jingle Ord The Way
Joined in 2008

by Jingle Ord The Way » Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:54 pm

This is looking to be by GOTY. I liked the previous Fallout games and I loved Oblivion. This is a marriage made in heaven for me. I have the collectors edition for the PC (Yeah mods!) pre-ordered for £34 inc postage and I cannae strawberry floating wait!

ImageImage
Jax
Joined in 2008

by Jax » Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:29 am

Can't wait. :mrgreen:

What is that in the special edition, though? A lunchbox? I mean, yeah, you carry all the stuff in it, but then what?

IntergalacticSpacePenguin
Joined in 2008

by IntergalacticSpacePenguin » Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:20 am

While I am looking forward to this, I do have some concerns. The VATS based combat has an annoying camera and the realtime combat is entirely reliant on the same stats used in the turn based combat. Shooting several times square at an enemies chest, only to miss most times due to a low firearms skill, will be irritating to many of those who think it will play just like a fps.

Despite that pessimism, this could end up someting special on the PC with a good modding community behind it.

Return to “Games”