North American DSi Box photos out.

Anything to do with games at all.
Sarge

PostRe: North American DSi Box photos out.
by Sarge » Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:16 pm

Euro DSi date soon

Nintendo's slapped an April 5 US release date on the DSi.

We contacted Nintendo UK who told us that an announcement regarding DSi's European launch "is due this week", although the company's since been back in touch to let us know that it's not confirmed for this week - it should be soon though.

Available in blue and black at launch in the US, the third iteration of the handheld will carry a manufacturer suggested retail price of $169.99 - that's about $40 more than DS Lites currently retail for.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/ar ... ?id=208644

Hero of Canton
Joined in 2008

by Hero of Canton » Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:25 pm

What are we thinking for UK price? £129.99? Or will it go as high as £149.99?

DML wrote:F'NARR!
Christopher
Emeritus
Joined in 2008

by Christopher » Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:26 pm

Hero of Canton wrote:What are we thinking for UK price? £129.99? Or will it go as high as £149.99?

Todays climate I'd say £149.99 is realistic. I'll pick one up once some must have downloads appear.

shas'la
Joined in 2008

by shas'la » Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:56 pm

Hero of Canton wrote:What are we thinking for UK price? £129.99? Or will it go as high as £149.99?

It would be sensible to put it at 129, but when has that stoppped nintendo.

Are normal DS games region locked on the DSi?

Peter Crisp
Joined in 2008

by Peter Crisp » Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:00 pm

Are you kidding? £150 is way to much for the DSi if you ask me considering you can get an arcade 360 for £130 or a Premium for £160.

Vermilion wrote:I'd rather live in Luton.
Oxx
Joined in 2008

by Oxx » Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:03 pm

The US price is $169.99, right? That's $40 more than the Lite's price (on Amazon).

It depends how Nintendo want to position the DSi really. A replacement for the Lite or a higher-spec alternative?

Cyburn2
Joined in 2008

by Cyburn2 » Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:14 pm

shas'la wrote:

It would be sensible to put it at 129, but when has that stoppped nintendo.

Are normal DS games region locked on the DSi?

I think its only DSiWare thats region-locked.

shas'la
Joined in 2008

by shas'la » Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:20 pm

Oxx wrote:

The US price is $169.99, right? That's $40 more than the Lite's price (on Amazon).

It depends how Nintendo want to position the DSi really. A replacement for the Lite or a higher-spec alternative?

Iwata thinks it is the second.

Oxx
Joined in 2008

by Oxx » Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:34 pm

That's not what happened in Japan.

rinks
Joined in 2008

by rinks » Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:39 pm

I was going to buy one as a replacement for my original launch DS (never got round to upgrading to a Lite), but if it's priced at £150, they can stick it up their SHITHOLE.

Loves us all since 2008
shas'la
Joined in 2008

by shas'la » Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:46 pm

Oxx wrote:That's not what happened in Japan.

His reasoning was something to do with the Yen being too strong to make it financially viable, and also says that the original DS and DSlite existed comfortably at the same time in europe wheras in japan original DS dropped off mnore sharply.

Super Dragon 64
Joined in 2008

by Super Dragon 64 » Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:32 pm

suzzopher wrote:
KKLEIN wrote:How does the DSi store downloaded games?

SD cards.

A Virtual Console which supports Gameboy/Colour/Advance, Game Gear, Bandai WonderSwan, Neo Geo Pocket Colour and Atari Lynx would rule.

That would be great - I'd love to see them re-release Pokemon Gold and allow it to link up to Diamond and Pearl. Let's hope they already have an idea like that in mind.

Christopher
Emeritus
Joined in 2008

by Christopher » Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:41 am

Completing the day's glut of Nintendo DSi launch announcements, it's been announced that the new handheld will be out in Europe before the US, and will retail for £149.99.

Customers in both the UK and continental Europe (for whom the press release we received did not reveal pricing) will be able to get their hands on the console on April 3, a day after Australia and two days before the US. Those consoles will, like Japan and Australia, be offered in black & white, meaning the US will be the only territory (so far) to be selling the handheld in a third colour, blue.

http://kotaku.com/5156255/dsi-european-release-date-price-announced

So April 3rd and the £149 I predicted then. So Nintendo can strawberry float off at that price :|

Hero of Canton
Joined in 2008

by Hero of Canton » Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:51 am

Too expensive. I'll no doubt get one, but that's too much.

Christopher
Emeritus
Joined in 2008

by Christopher » Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:52 am

Hero of Canton wrote:Too expensive. I'll no doubt get one, but that's too much.

If some killer DSi only software comes along I'll bite but £149 is shockingly high.

Dandy Kong
Joined in 2008
AKA: Dandy Kong

by Dandy Kong » Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:05 am

Okay, Kotaku is a US site, right? And then they announce the European release and they only state the price in pounds? Massive failure, Kotaku!

EDIT: still, glad to at least know the date.

Christopher
Emeritus
Joined in 2008

by Christopher » Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:09 am

Confirmed by Edge:
Nintendo has confirmed that the DSi handheld will launch across Europe on April‭ ‬3.

The company had not confirmed the pricing of the unit,‭ ‬though multiple reports suggest the unit is expected to retail at‭ ‬£150.

The handheld,‭ ‬which launched in Japan back in November,‭ ‬will be available in black or white,‭ ‬with Nintendo not once mentioning the word‭ ‬blue in its press release.

Nintendo has also confirmed that Australian side of PAL will see the unit released on April‭ ‬2; ‬also available in black and white,‭ ‬but not blue.

The handheld will sell for‭ ‬$170‭ ‬in the US,‭ ‬which is at the time of going to press worth‭ ‬£118.‭ ‬It will sell for AU$300‭ ‬down under,‭ ‬the equivalent of‭ ‬£134.

http://www.edge-online.com/news/dsi-gets-uk-launch-date

Rik
Joined in 2008

by Rik » Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:36 am

I presume the weak pound hasn't helped but that is a big difference from the DS Lite.

Neogaf: Riky
sw26
Joined in 2008

by sw26 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:38 am

I wasn't planning on upgrading from my Lite, mainly because I need the GBA compatibility to play the Final Fantasy Advance ports which I can see myself replaying lots of times and I don't want to do so on the rubbish GBA SP screen.

I just know they'll end up releasing something on the download store that makes me cave and get one eventually though.

As for the price, I think it's a little on the steep side, especially given what 360's go for nowadays. Something like £130 might have been more acceptable. I have no doubt that they will still sell like hotcakes though.

Hero of Canton
Joined in 2008

by Hero of Canton » Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:40 am

It's more expensive here than in strawberry floating Australia. Everything gaming-related is more costly over there.

Anyway, can a mod change the title, so everyone knows this is the official DSi chat thread?

Return to “Games”