[PC] Star Wars: The Old Republic

Anything to do with games at all.
$ilva $hadow
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Star Wars: The Old Republic [PC]
by $ilva $hadow » Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:41 pm

http://kirksigmon.com/2012/01/tortanic- ... king-fast/

“TORtanic” – Star Wars: The Old Republic sinking fast
The relatively new Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game “Star Wars: The Old Republic” is getting bad fast. In fact, the game is screwing up so badly due to a new update that the slowly dying MMO has been dubbed “TORtanic” by many of the players.
So what happened?
From what I can gather, it all began with the mediocre game being updated with a 1.1 patch. The long story short, as perhaps best illustrated by this video, is that the 1.1 broke the game by making it possible for one set of players (those playing for the Empire) to basically massacre an entire other set of players (those playing for the Republic). In fact, the Empire can kill the Republic at spawn points, basically meaning that players on the side of the Republic cannot play the game, and are in effect stuck in a constant loop where they do nothing but die. For some reason, TOR developer Bioware is “investigating” rather than simply “fixing” this issue, despite the fact that the problem is pretty self-evident and game-destroying.
So, as one might guess, a lot of Republic players got pissed off about this and decided to suspend their subscription to the game. This is a pretty logical choice to make: after all, it makes no sense to pay for a game you cannot play. The problem? Bioware removed the “cancel subscription” button and is hiding the mechanisms by which players can stop paying for the game. Bioware has not only hidden the “cancel subscription” button, but some players are complaining that customer service is hanging up on them. Thus, most players are forced to pay for a game they cannot play.
They seem to be pretending it’s a browser issue:

Of course, as a former web developer/programmer, I can assure you that buttons don’t disappear. Website designs can cause all sorts of hell, but of the many things that can happen, buttons do not conveniently disappear because someone uses a special web browser.
Thinking this whole affair was unfair, user “Kraiten” decided to help his fellow gamers by providing them the following link to unsubsribe from TOR:
https://account.swtor.com/user/subscription/Cancel
But what did Bioware do? Hide the post and punish Kraiten for posting it:

For those of you keeping score at home, this means that Bioware has not only massively screwed up their game, but that they are actively trying to lock players into subscriptions for their game in order to make it profitable for as long as possible. The company is even trying to bribe players to stay on the game by providing a “Founder’s Medal” to all players who maintain their subscription to the broken game.
The company has also seemingly threatened players “taking advantage” of the broken game (presumably, by killing Republic players or something), but it seems somewhat ludicrous for them to purport to punish people for playing the game in a way they designed it. Of course, Bioware refuses to actually roll the game back and fix the issue so that everyone is on an equal level — rather, they seem to want to just find a scapegoat and punish them to avoid discussing their horrible game.
It appears that Bioware is in trouble. If this game — and the behavior of their staffers — in any way indicates their standard for good business, then they are going to die off quickly. Stuff like this doesn’t go unpunished.

:lol:

Edit signature
Your signature will appear like this in posts
TheTurnipKing
Joined in 2008

by TheTurnipKing » Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:01 pm

Wow, I'm glad I cancelled the recurring sub a lot earlier, then.

Something Fishy

PostStar Wars: The Old Republic [PC]
by Something Fishy » Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:04 pm

I only cancelled it last night, the button was there then.

TheTurnipKing
Joined in 2008

by TheTurnipKing » Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:06 pm

Something Fishy wrote:I only cancelled it last night, the button was there then.

Yeah. I recall it's not where I expected it to be though. It was lurking at the bottom of the main page, and not on - as I quite reasonably expected it to be - the "subscriptions" page.

I did get a couple of time cards though. I don't think I'm quite done with this game yet. But it is, I think, the first MMO i've ever played to which I have not actually subscribed to.

Last edited by TheTurnipKing on Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Exodist
Joined in 2011

by Exodist » Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:06 pm

Hope I get to cancel soon, the game was okay but just found it really boring, just haven't got around to cancelling it yet. This whole patch issue is an absolute shambles though. The common comeback for the game's launch is of course "But WoW had this and that issue on launch, ToR is much better" but it really doesn't matter. ToR is basically WoW with the story, its not the only mmo on the market and standards today are so high you can't really get away with stuff like this, there are alternatives to this game and yeah it doesn't seem like its off to a great start after this patch.

$ilva $hadow
Joined in 2008

by $ilva $hadow » Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:10 pm

edit: spoilered for large.

Last edited by $ilva $hadow on Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Edit signature
False
COOL DUDE
Joined in 2008

by False » Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:15 pm

Bioware Image

$ilva $hadow
Joined in 2008

by $ilva $hadow » Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:16 pm

No wait there's more! :lol:

Check out this bioware fanboy:

Edit signature
Mafro
Joined in 2008
AKA: based

by Mafro » Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:16 pm

That one in red is strawberry floating ridiculous.

That fanboy :lol:

Fisher wrote:shyguy64 did you sell weed in animal crossing new horizons today.

Twitter
False
COOL DUDE
Joined in 2008

by False » Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:19 pm

Ive got loads of these saved, Ive been following the Tortanic threads very closely.

It truly is the greatest of communities. Ive been played Kotor the past week, and looking at the mess this game is, it makes me sad.

$ilva $hadow
Joined in 2008

by $ilva $hadow » Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:19 pm

Edit signature
$ilva $hadow
Joined in 2008

by $ilva $hadow » Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:23 pm

:lol: @ at the fanboys in those pics falsey.

Just wow. Why would anyone defend the games failings and say it's an improvement? It's like going into the Skyrim thread and saying the game is good but it's lacking a few things, and people will jump down your throat and say it's a better game without those improvements.

Edit signature
Something Fishy

by Something Fishy » Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:26 pm

TheTurnipKing wrote:
Something Fishy wrote:I only cancelled it last night, the button was there then.

Yeah. I recall it's not where I expected it to be though. It was lurking at the bottom of the main page, and not on - as I quite reasonably expected it to be - the "subscriptions" page.

I did get a couple of time cards though. I don't think I'm quite done with this game yet. But it is, I think, the first MMO i've ever played to which I have not actually subscribed to.

actually i might get a time card so the lad can carry on without hitting my credit card. Are they on sale in amazon and the like?

False
COOL DUDE
Joined in 2008

by False » Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:27 pm

The forums are the worst place in the entirety of the universe. Dare to offer constructive criticism and enjoy being hellbanned and drowned in dirge from fantards.

You cant say anything there these days, which is why only the fat nerd chicks hang around there followed by a cloud of devoted neckbeards. The best bit is, because this contingent tell Stanrey Roo and his mates what they want to hear, they effectively direct the games by comittee, which is why they are turning out shite. ME3 is gonna be in a gooseberry fool state if the 'What do you want in ME3' thread is anything to go by.

Powers
Joined in 2008

by Powers » Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:28 pm

I wouldn't describe this game as a "mess" at all. It's not perfect but it's sure as hell the most fun I've had playing an MMO. The only issue I've got with it right now is the stupid times they decide to do server maintenance.

Seven
Joined in 2008

by Seven » Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:31 pm

Powers wrote:I wouldn't describe this game as a "mess" at all. It's not perfect but it's sure as hell the most fun I've had playing an MMO. The only issue I've got with it right now is the stupid times they decide to do server maintenance.

Agree with this - none other MMO has grabbed me much as SW: ToR.

:wub: ToR, although I can see why people won't like it. Just don't combine me with these kind of fanboys, ta.

Bluesky: SevenFisher.bsky.social || Steam ID: SevenFisher
degoose
Joined in 2008

by degoose » Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:38 pm

i'm confused as i have been really enjoying it, i guess MMO's really bring out the strawberry floating crazy geeks in this world. Especially stat crazy geeks, ah well i'm having fun.

"Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned for Sega"
Steam:degoose, Xbox:degoose v2 , PSN:degoose, Switch: 0760-2133-6729
Jingle Ord The Way
Joined in 2008

by Jingle Ord The Way » Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:43 pm

Same, I'm still really enjoying the game. I've got 8 days left until my first month finishes, but I reckon I'll plug away at this for a couple more months yet before considering cancelling my sub.

ImageImage
False
COOL DUDE
Joined in 2008

by False » Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:44 pm

lol, noobs

Winckle
Technician
Joined in 2008

by Winckle » Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:52 pm