The Camera Thread

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
Harry Bizzle
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Camera Thread
by Harry Bizzle » Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:49 pm

Also, they have smaller sensors (generally Micro 4/3s, but Nikon have gone with a pathetically small sensor in their V system, IIRC) and a smaller sensor size means, poorer image quality (that you probably won't notice), poorer noise performance (that you might notice) and far, far less bokeh (which you almost definitely will notice).

All that out of focus stuff in the background in bokeh, and it's harder to achieve with a smaller sensor, without being really up close.

instagram: @habiz
Victor Mildew
Joined in 2009

by Victor Mildew » Sun Nov 27, 2011 1:49 pm

Taking the camera out for my first proper session in a bit. I'm a total amature with the stock kit lens so I'm not expecting miracles but still :wub:

Hexx wrote:Ad7 is older and balder than I thought.
Harry Bizzle
Joined in 2008

by Harry Bizzle » Sun Nov 27, 2011 3:47 pm

If you understand shutterspeed, ISO and aperture, try your best to shoot in manual. You'll get more out of your camera.

Knoyleo
Joined in 2008

by Knoyleo » Sun Nov 27, 2011 6:15 pm

Harry Bizzle wrote:Also, they have smaller sensors (generally Micro 4/3s, but Nikon have gone with a pathetically small sensor in their V system, IIRC) and a smaller sensor size means, poorer image quality (that you probably won't notice), poorer noise performance (that you might notice) and far, far less bokeh (which you almost definitely will notice).

All that out of focus stuff in the background in bokeh, and it's harder to achieve with a smaller sensor, without being really up close.

The other effect of having a smaller sensor is a higher crop factor. As the sensor is smaller, it captures a smaller image, in effect, cropping the image you could have got had you been using a larger sensor. The major drawback of this is, on much smaller sensors, finding wide angle lenses becomes difficult. Whilst a 20mm lens sounds like it should be nice and wide, giving you a massive field of view, on a Micro 4/3 camera, there's a crop factor of about 2x, meaning it becomes the equivalent of a 40mm focal length, a short standard, on a full frame or 35mm (standard film size) sensor. Full frame cameras can be obscenely expensive, so most DSLRs use APSC size sensors, which have a crop factor of about 1.5x, or 1.6 if it's a Canon, for some reason.

pjbetman wrote:That's the stupidest thing ive ever read on here i think.
Harry Bizzle
Joined in 2008

by Harry Bizzle » Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:41 pm

Nikon crop factor is 1.3x, what with them not being rubbish.

But yeah, finding an affordable wide angle is a pain.

Apparently a full frame sensor costs ten times as much to produce as an APS-C one.

I want to try some proper HDR stuff but the D3100 doesn't do exposure bracketing. It's probably one of my biggest disappointments with the camera.

Knoyleo
Joined in 2008

by Knoyleo » Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:53 pm

I thought 1.3x was Canon's APS-H sized sensors like in the 1D, whereas Nikon DX sensors were still 1.5x.

Yeah, full frames cost so much more, largely because the probability of there being an error anywhere on the surface of the sensor increases massively the larger you make it, thus leading to many more wasted sensors in each production run. Have you seen the cost of digital medium format backs? :lol:

Can you not just manually change your exposure and capture the frames yourself using a tripod? Most bracketing systems will only give you three shots, when ideally for HDR you want more for better gradiation, hopefully avoiding that halo effect.

Harry Bizzle
Joined in 2008

by Harry Bizzle » Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:25 pm

Whoops, you're right there.

But yeah, you can do that, but the problem with that is moving subjects, even trees and rivers become a problem when you have to adjust the exposure manually.

Nova
Joined in 2008

by Nova » Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:19 pm

Hey guys. I'm considering getting a DSLR camera for my year long voyage in China in January. I'll be paying for half of it (gf paying other half), so I don't mind spending a reasonable amount, but am a noob with photography so don't want to spend through the nose for little noticeable picture difference. I currently have an IXUS 80, and was considering just getting another compact, but is DSLR potentially the way to go? Aren't they really big and clumsy? Please help!

Knoyleo
Joined in 2008

by Knoyleo » Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:06 am

DSLRs are big, yes, bigger than compacts at any rate, but certainly not clumsy. If size is going to be an issue, it's definitely a contributing factor in whether you should go for one or not. However, I would recommend taking a visit to your nearest camera retailer, be it Currys, Jessops, John Lewis, wherever, so long as it's somewhere that will allow you to demo a camera. Have a play with one or more of the DSLRs there. You'll be surprised at how light and compact many of the entry level models can be.

As for getting yourself the best value for money, it's a delicate balance. Whilst the actual image quality between different models won't very hugely, what each model allows you to do with the camera can. I'd probably recommend avoiding the lowest tier entry models like the Canon 1100D or Nikon D3000, look at the Canon 550/600D or Nikon D5100 for bodies that will be less restrictive in terms of features. There probably won't be much need for you to go looking at the upper mid-range of things, like the 60D or D7000, however, as you're moving straight on from a compact, and may well decide after your travels that you don't want to continue shooting with a DSLR, so getting a higher range body might be wasteful. Don't feel like buying a lower end body is a poor investment if you do stick with it, however. I'll get back to this later.

The more important place to spend your money for better quality images is on the glass, your lenses. Think about what you'll want to shoot whilst you're away. Landscapes will demand a nice wide angle lens, whilst other tourist attractions and interesting sights may not allow you to get right up close, so a telephoto lens will be in order. Maybe you'll want to be taking lots of photos at night, or in other low light situations. The best way to deal with this and keep image quality high, and minimise high ISO noise (that grainy look you get when shooting in low light on a compact), is to use a wide aperture prime lens. These are just the basics of what you might want.

Here's just an example set up for you consisting of a 550D camera body and three different lenses, one tele zoom, one wide angle zoom, and one standard fast prime, all for around £1000.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Canon-Digital-C ... 72K33TPHJK

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Canon-EF-50-1-8 ... 800&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Canon-EF-S-55-2 ... 800&sr=1-3

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Canon-EF-S-17-8 ... 156&sr=1-1

I know £1000 sounds like a lot, but consider this, those lenses will work on any future Canon body you might upgrade to. Unlike compact cameras, you're investing in a system that will last you for years and years. This was what I meant about not splurging all your money on a top end body, as if you really like shooting DSLR when you get back, and decide you want to do it bigger and better, the old body can be sold and replaced with an upgraded model. The real investment is in lenses. On the other hand, the lenses are just that, lenses. They're glass and various mechanisms, so they won't become outdated, and as such, will maintain a moderate value on the second hand market. This can also be used to your advantage when buying all your kit in the first place. You could probably save a fair bit buying second hand bodies and lenses. If you're not fussed about video features, an older model from Canon or Nikon without video capabilities can be had much cheaper second hand than their current versions that do include a feature you may not want or need.

This is all just generally speaking, if you have any more specifics you'd like covered, feel free to ask.

Harry Bizzle
Joined in 2008

by Harry Bizzle » Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:02 pm

If you can afford the 550D, then there's no reason to really even look into Nikon. The D5100 isn't all that. It's basically just a non gimped D3100 with a swivelly screen.

Victor Mildew
Joined in 2009

by Victor Mildew » Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:31 pm

Got some alright shots yesterday, considering i was mainly on fully auto and only really playing with manual focus. I might put a few on later if i get a chance.

Well impressed so far!

Fatal Exception
Joined in 2008
AKA: Racist chinese lover

by Fatal Exception » Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:33 pm

Nova wrote:Hey guys. I'm considering getting a DSLR camera for my year long voyage in China in January. I'll be paying for half of it (gf paying other half), so I don't mind spending a reasonable amount, but am a noob with photography so don't want to spend through the nose for little noticeable picture difference. I currently have an IXUS 80, and was considering just getting another compact, but is DSLR potentially the way to go? Aren't they really big and clumsy? Please help!

You'll feel it. Having a DLSR dangling off my neck through my trip to China was tiresome at times. Also will you have much time to really play with it. I was too busy seeing sights to bother with much manual stuff :shifty:

The above post, unless specifically stated to the contrary, should not be taken seriously. If the above post has offended you in any way, please fill in this form and return it to your nearest moderator.
Harry Bizzle
Joined in 2008

by Harry Bizzle » Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:06 pm

Get one of these:

http://www.qstrap.co.uk/singleqstrap.html

Makes carrying your DSLR much easier. It can be had for less on eBay. It's basically a BlackRapid rip off (That's about £70, folks).

Knoyleo
Joined in 2008

by Knoyleo » Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:32 pm

Fatal Exception wrote:
Nova wrote:Hey guys. I'm considering getting a DSLR camera for my year long voyage in China in January. I'll be paying for half of it (gf paying other half), so I don't mind spending a reasonable amount, but am a noob with photography so don't want to spend through the nose for little noticeable picture difference. I currently have an IXUS 80, and was considering just getting another compact, but is DSLR potentially the way to go? Aren't they really big and clumsy? Please help!

You'll feel it. Having a DLSR dangling off my neck through my trip to China was tiresome at times. Also will you have much time to really play with it. I was too busy seeing sights to bother with much manual stuff :shifty:

He'll still get much better shots than a compact even in Auto. Better yet, Aperture or Shutter Priority modes will still allow you to set one desired value then just shoot away.

Also, you shouldn't carry your camera around your neck, you don't take photos with your torso. Hold it in your hand, and you'll actually find yourself taking many more pictures, and it won't be putting weight on your neck either. Leave it on standby too, so you're good to go with a half press of the shutter. Just make sure you turn off any "bring to eye" AF features, or else you'll be triggering it every time you swing your arm past your hip, and utterly waste the battery.

EDIT: Be more baws, like this guy:

Exxy
Joined in 2008
AKA: Dodems

by Exxy » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:00 pm

Anyone read any decent photography books? Theory I mean, not just photos. Whenever I look all I can find is "HOW TO TAKE GREAT DIGITAL PHOTOS!", which are fine, but a bit...textbooky.

Fatal Exception
Joined in 2008
AKA: Racist chinese lover

by Fatal Exception » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:31 am

You can't be walking around with a camera hanging off your hand though. When not in use it was on my neck, ready to be used. Obviously it's in both hands when I'm snapping shots.

The above post, unless specifically stated to the contrary, should not be taken seriously. If the above post has offended you in any way, please fill in this form and return it to your nearest moderator.
Victor Mildew
Joined in 2009

by Victor Mildew » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:51 am

That just looks like a recipe for smacking it against something.

Victor Mildew
Joined in 2009

by Victor Mildew » Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:11 pm

My 50mm prime just turned up, be interesting to see what i can get out of this.

Harry Bizzle
Joined in 2008

by Harry Bizzle » Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:05 pm

If you can't shoot manual, then put your camera on Aperture priority (Av) and make sure you're at f/1.8. Then go nuts.

Knoyleo
Joined in 2008

by Knoyleo » Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:30 am

Ad7 wrote:That just looks like a recipe for smacking it against something.

Only if you regularly wander about smacking your hand in to things in the first place.

Fatal Exception wrote:You can't be walking around with a camera hanging off your hand though. When not in use it was on my neck, ready to be used.

It's not hanging from your hand though, you'll be holding it. The strap isn't really necessary, but it helps prevent any dropping if you do lose grip. Maybe it's just me, but I find I take many more photos and miss fewer opportunities if I have my camera in hand rather than slung around my neck or over my shoulder.

Return to “Stuff”