The Football Thread 2023/24: And so we enter... end game.

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
Cuttooth
Emeritus
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Football Thread 2023/24: Poch vs Spuds TONIGHT
by Cuttooth » Sat May 04, 2024 5:42 pm

Just turned on the Man City game and apparently wrongly assumed that was a foul on the Wolves player rather than the other way round.

Dowbocop
Member ♥
Joined in 2008

by Dowbocop » Sat May 04, 2024 6:54 pm

Cuttooth wrote:Just turned on the Man City game and apparently wrongly assumed that was a foul on the Wolves player rather than the other way round.

We had some fortune today as well - although I'd be fuming if it was given against us I think our penalty was a penalty, but Raya was fortunate to get that foul. Not feeling too guilty after that tackle on Saka though. It's always Saka that gets assaulted and noone cares. Bet you that won't get the same column inches that Havertz got.

It's two games in a row that a half cleared set piece has come back in and ended up in the net. If I can see that I hope Arteta can see it too because we won't always get the marginal offside or soft foul.

Switched off the second half of the City game. Basically every game we win is buying a scratchcard, and every subsequent City game is scratching it to find we haven't won :dread:

Cuttooth
Emeritus
Joined in 2008

by Cuttooth » Sat May 04, 2024 7:09 pm

Hadn't actually seen the Bournemouth highlights until now. I don't think that's enough of a foul on either Havertz or Raya, so Bournemouth should be pretty aggrieved with those decisions.

Albert
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Football Thread 2023/24: The Tractor Boys are back in the big time!
by Albert » Sun May 05, 2024 5:50 pm

Jesus Christ. What is going on at spurs!? Got to give ange another season at least but this is painful! If we get a result against Man City after this nonsense Iwill be seriously pissed.

Return_of_the_STAR
Joined in 2008

by Return_of_the_STAR » Sun May 05, 2024 7:03 pm

twitter.com/thespursweb/status/1787170758977863859

This is a disgrace and conspiracy. I demand the game is replayed.

Shoe Army
Benzin
Joined in 2011

by Benzin » Sun May 05, 2024 9:10 pm

Got the ball.

Cuttooth
Emeritus
Joined in 2008

by Cuttooth » Sun May 05, 2024 9:29 pm

Benzin wrote:Got the ball.

The eyeball maybe.

Return_of_the_STAR
Joined in 2008

by Return_of_the_STAR » Sun May 05, 2024 11:01 pm

Cuttooth wrote:

The eyeball maybe.

In all seriousness though. Whether he got the ball or not it should be a penalty as it was dangerous play. I'm too fussed as we just wouldn't have got the fourth goal even if we got a penalty and scored. But it was a bad decision. However there are numerous bad decisions in every game.

What exactly is the high boot rule in football?
The high boot rule in football, also known as dangerous play, refers to a situation where a player raises their foot to a level above the waist of an opponent in a manner that could endanger the safety of the opponent. This is typically considered a foul and can result in a direct free kick or a penalty kick, depending on the location of the foul. The rule is in place to protect the safety of players on the field.

There actually is no such rule.

The IS a part of Law 12: "Playing in a dangerous manner "

Law 12 says:

Playing in a dangerous manner is defied as any action that, while
trying to play the ball, threatens injury to someone (including the player
himself). It is committed with an opponent nearby and prevents the opponent
from playing the ball for fear of injury.
A scissors or bicycle kick is permissible provided that, in the opinion of the
referee, it is not dangerous to an opponent.
Playing in a dangerous manner involves no physical contact between the
players. If there is physical contact, the action becomes an offence punishable
with a direct free kick or penalty kick. In the case of physical contact, the
referee should carefully consider the high probability that misconduct has also
been committed.

Shoe Army
DML
Joined in 2008

by DML » Mon May 06, 2024 12:23 am

Do feel VAR has made a whole swathe of fans into utter babies who now have sonething to blame every possible ill (whether real or not) on.

The luxury of getting to break down a decision weeks after. I think there needs to be lower league ref week just so the Prem can experience some of that!

Dowbocop
Member ♥
Joined in 2008

by Dowbocop » Mon May 06, 2024 1:04 am

DML wrote:Do feel VAR has made a whole swathe of fans into utter babies who now have sonething to blame every possible ill (whether real or not) on.

The luxury of getting to break down a decision weeks after. I think there needs to be lower league ref week just so the Prem can experience some of that!

I have to disagree with you that VAR has made fans into "babies" - we had exactly the same arguments pre-VAR and even begged for video reviews to come in. In my opinion the problems are:
i) an unrealistic expectation (on the consumers' part - and I use that word advisedly) that everything will always be right
ii) batshit minutiae meaning a horror tackle gets ignored but a marginal offside gets over-analysed
iii) not changing rules or their implementation to reflect the data available to the referee at the time.

I think (iii) is the biggest problem to be fair - offsides and backpasses and the like are all relatively modern innovations, and offside in particular is a very moveable feast - so it's churlish to believe we play the same game as the Old Etonians in the Victorian era. Every single rule VAR adjudicates was devised before VAR was a thing, but nobody wants to change anything.

In fairness there's nothing stopping you breaking down EFL decisions other than a paucity of footage and angles. The fact that Howard Webb treats the PL to Pravda TV every few weeks isn't something to envy, believe me!

Return_of_the_STAR
Joined in 2008

by Return_of_the_STAR » Mon May 06, 2024 10:56 am

DML wrote:Do feel VAR has made a whole swathe of fans into utter babies who now have sonething to blame every possible ill (whether real or not) on.

Yeah, I wish we didn't have var and all these different camera angles and analysis. Social media and the ability to share so much also ruins the fun.

When I watch the Cobblers in person, you get a bad decision, you then question if it was a bad decision as you watched it live and maybe missed something, you shrug your shoulders and move on. It's very unlikely after the game that you will see any alternative camera angles as there's only one fixed camera for highlights.

Shoe Army
mcjihge2
Joined in 2008

by mcjihge2 » Mon May 06, 2024 11:04 am

Return_of_the_STAR wrote:
Cuttooth wrote:

The eyeball maybe.

In all seriousness though. Whether he got the ball or not it should be a penalty as it was dangerous play. I'm too fussed as we just wouldn't have got the fourth goal even if we got a penalty and scored. But it was a bad decision. However there are numerous bad decisions in every game.

The high boot rule in football, also known as dangerous play, refers to a situation where a player raises their foot to a level above the waist of an opponent in a manner that could endanger the safety of the opponent. This is typically considered a foul and can result in a direct free kick or a penalty kick, depending on the location of the foul. The rule is in place to protect the safety of players on the field.

Law 12 says:

referee
, it is not dangerous to an opponent.
been committed.

Law 5
https://www.thefa.com/football-rules-governance/lawsandrules/laws/football-11-11/law-5---the-referee
The decisions of the referee regarding facts connected with play, including whether or not a goal is scored and the result of the match, are final.

No penalty.

Xbox Live: GCE
Albert
Joined in 2008

by Albert » Mon May 06, 2024 6:42 pm

:lol:

The worst thing about VAR is it has completely ruined goals for me. (no obvious Spurs jokes please). You used to have a few seconds delay when you checked the Ref/linesman, but now it feels so many goals are diluted because they end up reviewing something that happened in the lead up.

Never thought I would say this, but if it was up to me I would bin it. I would rather get the odd wrong decision but get back that moment of when your team scores.

SandyCoin
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Football Thread 2023/24: Moyes out on his ear, Lopetegui in
by SandyCoin » Mon May 06, 2024 8:15 pm

That is some horrific defending from United (shock!). Basically just giving him all the time in the world to waltz through and take the shot :lol:

-----> My Illustration Blog | My Shop <------
BOR
Joined in 2008

by BOR » Mon May 06, 2024 8:38 pm

SandyCoin wrote:That is some horrific defending from United (shock!). Basically just giving him all the time in the world to waltz through and take the shot :lol:

Absolutely.

I fear we will be losing 3-0 to them tonight. :shifty: :fp:

"The job is done, and the bitch is dead."
Benzin
Joined in 2011

by Benzin » Mon May 06, 2024 9:21 pm

BOR wrote:
SandyCoin wrote:That is some horrific defending from United (shock!). Basically just giving him all the time in the world to waltz through and take the shot :lol:

Absolutely.

At minimum at least.

Get that there's an injury crisis but no team should be resorting to Casemiro and Evans as their defence pairing.

Preezy
Skeletor
Joined in 2009

by Preezy » Mon May 06, 2024 9:56 pm

Benzin wrote:
BOR wrote:

Absolutely.

At minimum at least.

Get that there's an injury crisis but no team should be resorting to Casemiro and Evans as their defence pairing.

They've literally never played as a pair together, not surprised they've been exposed tonight. Time's up for Erik but I do sympathise, he's missing Varane, Lindelof, Maguire, Martinez, Kambwala, Shaw and Malacia, pretty crazy really.

Would quite like the season to end now please :simper:

BOR
Joined in 2008

by BOR » Mon May 06, 2024 10:10 pm

Preezy wrote:
Benzin wrote:
BOR wrote:

Absolutely.

At minimum at least.

They've literally never played as a pair together, not surprised they've been exposed tonight. Time's up for Erik but I do sympathise, he's missing Varane, Lindelof, Maguire, Martinez, Kambwala, Shaw and Malacia, pretty crazy really.

Would quite like the season to end now please :simper:

I agreed.

But, what I don't get is... Why doesn't ten Hag use the youth centre backs from reserves that work together? Put them in as a pair together. It may be a risk, but it is better than Casemiro with one of them!

"The job is done, and the bitch is dead."
Peter Crisp
Joined in 2008

by Peter Crisp » Mon May 06, 2024 10:13 pm

Oh well, it was nice to be in the big time for a year but it's looking like Luton are going down.

At least they didn't go on an insane spending spree and are looking pretty good for the future so they may get promoted again next season.
The new stadium is about to start being built so not bad all things considered.

Vermilion wrote:I'd rather live in Luton.
Return_of_the_STAR
Joined in 2008

by Return_of_the_STAR » Mon May 06, 2024 10:19 pm

mcjihge2 wrote:
Return_of_the_STAR wrote:
Cuttooth wrote:

The eyeball maybe.

Law 12 says:

referee
, it is not dangerous to an opponent.
been committed.

Law 5
https://www.thefa.com/football-rules-governance/lawsandrules/laws/football-11-11/law-5---the-referee
The decisions of the referee regarding facts connected with play, including whether or not a goal is scored and the result of the match, are final.

No penalty.

:lol: :lol:

Shoe Army

Return to “Stuff”