7%
South Korea
No votes

Total votes: 14
Ginga
Joined in 2008

PostGinga's World Cup Guide To South Africa 2010 - GROUP B
by Ginga » Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:45 am

Continuing my guide to the 32 teams taking part in this summer's World Cup. I'll run by each team and pick out a key man or two that'll hopefully help you keep track on some special players and sides to look out for over the next four weeks - and maybe even make you a couple of quid at the bookies!

Next up, Group B...

ARGENTINA

GREECE

NIGERIA

SOUTH KOREA

Last edited by Ginga on Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Psychic
Emeritus
Emeritus
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Ginga's World Cup Guide To South Africa 2010 - GROUP B
by Psychic » Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:47 am

First. \o/

Good stuff Ginga. :)

Count Nood
Joined in 2008

by Count Nood » Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:01 am

Good work, Aunty.

Should be interesting to see how Argentina do.

The Eeveelution club!!! \o/
The Alchemist Penguin wrote:I want Tales of Vesperia PS3 now. Especially you loveable Patty. :wub:
SandyCoin
Joined in 2008

by SandyCoin » Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:27 am

Poor Nigeria. In 1994 it was a surprise that Italy beat them.

-----> My Illustration Blog | My Shop <------
Dangerblade
Joined in 2008

by Dangerblade » Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:58 am

Never heard of "Human LCD" until I read it in your write-up, there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpTJISyKGrA

That's brilliant!

Are you making these for a magazine or something, by the way? Or is it just a GRCade thing? :)

Wedgie
Joined in 2008

by Wedgie » Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:28 am

Argentina was clearly struggling to win their qualifers, like France. Messi haven't carried over his club form over to Argentina and is at loss with Maradona's tactics.

The only saving grace is that their group is easier than France's.

Whatever happens, at the end of the tournament unless they win it of course is that Maradona will be sacked.

Denster wrote:My phone messaged me yesterday after i'd encouraged him to download and play the RESi demo.

Super Intelligent Phones Are Here!!!! We are dooooomed!
Ginga
Joined in 2008

by Ginga » Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:36 pm

Dangerblade wrote:Never heard of "Human LCD" until I read it in your write-up, there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpTJISyKGrA

That's brilliant!

Are you making these for a magazine or something, by the way? Or is it just a GRCade thing? :)

The copy was used for the Daily Record up here but I'm making the screenies and layout just for the GRcade :)

Photek
Joined in 2008

by Photek » Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:42 pm

I think Argentina's CARTAIN JAVIER MASCHERANO would be more important than Veron! :fp:

Ginga
Joined in 2008

by Ginga » Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:17 pm

Photek wrote:I think Argentina's CARTAIN JAVIER MASCHERANO would be more important than Veron! :fp:

Why? Because he plays for Liverpool, Photek? :lol:

Veron is infinitely more valuable to the team than Mascherano as, like I stated, he's the sole creative force in midfield. There are plenty of one-dimensional tacklers with semi-decent distribution there.

Mr Luke
Joined in 2008

by Mr Luke » Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:23 pm

With Messi and Aguero potentially supporting the further forward trio of Tevez, Hugain and Milito.. I think the creativity of Argentina could get by with or without Veron. The lack of Cambiasso and Zanetti as mentioned by yourself, calls for an even greater need for a Mascherano type player.

Back in business after a lengthy absence from gaming and Grcade.
Recently got myself a PS4 with FIFA15, TLOU, DriveClub and MW:AW.
Kanbei
Member ♥
Joined in 2008

by Kanbei » Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:29 pm

Jus Luke wrote:With Messi and Aguero potentially supporting the further forward trio of Tevez, Hugain and Milito.. I think the creativity of Argentina could get by with or without Veron. The lack of Cambiasso and Zanetti as mentioned by yourself, calls for an even greater need for a Mascherano type player.

All 5 are forwards, they do actually need someone to pass it to them in the first place.

Mr Luke
Joined in 2008

by Mr Luke » Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:32 pm

Kanbei wrote:
Jus Luke wrote:With Messi and Aguero potentially supporting the further forward trio of Tevez, Hugain and Milito.. I think the creativity of Argentina could get by with or without Veron. The lack of Cambiasso and Zanetti as mentioned by yourself, calls for an even greater need for a Mascherano type player.

All 5 are forwards, they do actually need someone to pass it to them in the first place.

Messi and Aguero are not 'out and out' strikers though, are they? Their games are all about creativity. Get the ball to those players and they will do the rest in the final third to supply others.

Kanbei
Member ♥
Joined in 2008

by Kanbei » Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:34 pm

Jus Luke wrote:
Kanbei wrote:

Messi and Aguero are not 'out and out' strikers though, are they? Their games are all about creativity. Get the ball to those players and they will do the rest in the final third to supply others.

Well yes they are more like second strikers but the point still stands, you don't see Messi or Aguero tracking back, getting the ball and then spreading it.

Mr Luke
Joined in 2008

by Mr Luke » Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:40 pm

Kanbei wrote:
Jus Luke wrote:
Kanbei wrote:

Well yes they are more like second strikers but the point still stands, you don't see Messi or Aguero tracking back, getting the ball and then spreading it.

You seem to be missing my point completely. With a selection of the five players I mentioned.. you have enough creativity there. Not all of them are going to park themselves in the penalty area and wait for Veron to pick them out. Messi and Aguero will come from deeper positions. You're making it sound like Veron will be some kind of box-to-box midfielder.

With a side that left 2 of the best defensive midfielders in the world out of it's squad, Mascherano is more important to the team than Veron. Especially when you consider than the defence of Argentina is their weakest area.

Ginga
Joined in 2008

by Ginga » Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:50 pm

Jus Luke wrote:
Kanbei wrote:
Jus Luke wrote:
Kanbei wrote:

You seem to be missing my point completely. With a selection of the five players I mentioned.. you have enough creativity there. Not all of them are going to park themselves in the penalty area and wait for Veron to pick them out. Messi and Aguero will come from deeper positions. You're making it sound like Veron will be some kind of box-to-box midfielder.

With a side that left 2 of the best defensive midfielders in the world out of it's squad, Mascherano is more important to the team than Veron. Especially when you consider than the defence of Argentina is their weakest area.

I disagree - if Maradona goes with his plans to play a back four of straight centre halves then they'll have everything Mascherano offers. He could even play their skipper at the back, which wouldn't be all that surprising.

But Tevez, Higuain, Aguero, Messi and Milito won't all play at the same time. Di Maria and Messi will be picked first and told to stay forward and drift, perhaps feeding Milito. Veron will sit behind and dictate play. He's the only one capable of doing that and as aggressive and naturally defensive Mascherano is, he's not a ball-player which is what they need.

You only have to look at their recent friendlies and latter qualifiers to note how important Veron is. Infact, with Cambiasso and Zanetti gone, Veron is the experienced elder the rest of the side looks up to.

Buffalo
Emeritus
Joined in 2008

by Buffalo » Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:53 pm

Who'd have thought that Veron would still be kicking it with the best of them.
These are great, well played Ginga :mrgreen:

Mr Luke
Joined in 2008

by Mr Luke » Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:02 pm

With all those attacking players at Maradona's disposal, the more defensive style of Mascherano will be even more vital in holding things together. I'd also chop my balls off if Mascherano plays at the back, that's how insane I think your non suprise at that would be. Admittedly, I haven't watched Argentina's recent friendlies like yourself, but football sense tells me a side with such attacking talent could still manage to get by without Veron. I'm not saying the baldy veteran isn't worth his place in the team, I just think that the captain (clue there), and first choice defensive midfielder is more important to their chances of success.

Ginga
Joined in 2008

by Ginga » Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:14 pm

Jus Luke wrote:With all those attacking players at Maradona's disposal, the more defensive style of Mascherano will be even more vital in holding things together. I'd also chop my balls off if Mascherano plays at the back, that's how insane I think your non suprise at that would be. Admittedly, I haven't watched Argentina's recent friendlies like yourself, but football sense tells me a side with such attacking talent could still manage to get by without Veron. I'm not saying the baldy veteran isn't worth his place in the team, I just think that the captain (clue there), and first choice defensive midfielder is more important to their chances of success.

Well, that's fair enough. I can't say I agree with those points - and I think you'll see why during the tournament - but I wouldn't read too much into a player holding the captain's armband. Maradona handed it to Mascherano for the first game and stuck with it, mostly because he was a vocal supporter as discontent mounted from everyone else. Veron and Zanetti had the biggest input to the team's mentality and performances with the latter staging the infamous dressing room rally, telling his team-mates to ignore Armando and listen to him.

It worked and it's one the of reasons Zanetti is not there - but as you've pointed out, Maradona's selection can be grudge-heavy and not based on performances or needs. Veron's the link-man between defence and attack, the only one. Mascherano hasn't been very effective or impressive in a blue and white shirt while Veron has, so there's also that aspect to consider.

Mr Luke
Joined in 2008

by Mr Luke » Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:21 pm

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. It's nice to have some real football discussion on this forum though, instead of the dumbed down trolling and baiting we often have to step over.

Andrew_version1
Joined in 2008

by Andrew_version1 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:51 pm

Am I the only one expecting a SPECTACULAR FAILURE from the argies? - Maradonna is a clueless manager / coach despite his past playing credentials, and they really are hedging their bets on their 5 forwards outscoring the opposition (in a system that restricts the effectiveness of the worlds best player by the by) Wouldn't be shocked if the well drilled greek team hold them 0-0 and nigeria are a team that have good spirit and like to play attractive football...The argies are far from a safe bet boys and gals.

EASTEND SAYS...BOUNCE AROUND THE GROUND

Return to “Stuff”