Only Fools And Horses isn't funny.

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
KK
Joined in 2008

PostOnly Fools And Horses isn't funny.
by KK » Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:58 pm

Can opinions be wrong? Well this one certainly is...

The Sun, 'Buzz' TV Guide wrote:I realise that saying I don’t like Only Fools And Horses is a bit like saying I don’t like crumpets, cricket and red telephone boxes. Regarded by many as a British institution, the adventures of Del and Rodney are held up as an example of great UK comedy. The problem is it’s just not that funny. People who say they love it always rave about the scene where Del falls through the bar, or the one when the chandelier smashes to the ground. These scenes are so ingrained in people’s minds, they’ve been brainwashed into thinking they’re hilarious. They’ve been on every comedy clip show and are repeated on GOLD every five minutes. But if you sit through a whole episode, you’ll see those moments are few and far between. What you actually get are long, unfunny scenes where Del and Rodney tease an old man about his war memories, with a laughter track to tell you where the jokes are.

And then there’s the Christmas Specials. Each year, one would haunt my festive enjoyment like distant relatives or Brussels sprouts. Forced to watch them by my parents, they were always the same. I’d wait for the one good joke that would remind everyone why they should think it was the greatest comedy ever made, then when it didn’t arrive, go to bed having wasted an hour of my life. Only Fools And Horses? Bah humbug.

"Funny? Not funny? You're joking!"

Spindash
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Only Fools And Horses isn't funny.
by Spindash » Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:00 pm

KKLEIN wrote:Only Fools And Horses isn't funny.

o/

Rubix
Joined in 2008

by Rubix » Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:00 pm

Spindash wrote:

o/

:|

PLAY | Persona 3 Reloaded [3h]
WATCH | Ted Lasso S3, HiJack S1, The Apprentice S18
RACE | Chew Valley 10k (June), GNR (Sept), Cardiff Half (Oct)
Preezy
Skeletor
Joined in 2009

by Preezy » Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:01 pm

The "falling over at the bar" scene is funny.

Mockmaster
Joined in 2008

by Mockmaster » Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:03 pm

It was funny before they became millionaires. A couple of the Christmas specials were rubbish and some episodes haven't aged well, but generally speaking, it was comedy gold.

Beans
Joined in 2008

by Beans » Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:06 pm

I found them funny at the time, but a bit like Simpsons and friends, if has been repeated so many times it's hard to laugh anymore.

jiggles
Joined in 2008

by jiggles » Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:07 pm

TheTurnipKing
Joined in 2008

by TheTurnipKing » Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:08 pm

Somebody should file his bloody fax.

Spindash
Joined in 2008

by Spindash » Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:14 pm

Rubix wrote:
Spindash wrote:

o/

:|

Saint of Killers
Joined in 2008

by Saint of Killers » Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:23 pm

KKLEIN wrote:Can opinions be wrong? Well this one certainly is...

The Sun, 'Buzz' TV Guide wrote:I realise that saying I don’t like Only Fools And Horses is a bit like saying I don’t like crumpets, cricket and red telephone boxes. Regarded by many as a British institution, the adventures of Del and Rodney are held up as an example of great UK comedy. The problem is it’s just not that funny. People who say they love it always rave about the scene where Del falls through the bar, or the one when the chandelier smashes to the ground. These scenes are so ingrained in people’s minds, they’ve been brainwashed into thinking they’re hilarious. They’ve been on every comedy clip show and are repeated on GOLD every five minutes. But if you sit through a whole episode, you’ll see those moments are few and far between. What you actually get are long, unfunny scenes where Del and Rodney tease an old man about his war memories, with a laughter track to tell you where the jokes are.

And then there’s the Christmas Specials. Each year, one would haunt my festive enjoyment like distant relatives or Brussels sprouts. Forced to watch them by my parents, they were always the same. I’d wait for the one good joke that would remind everyone why they should think it was the greatest comedy ever made, then when it didn’t arrive, go to bed having wasted an hour of my life. Only Fools And Horses? Bah humbug.

Wait. Is he saying he doesn't like crumpets?! FREAK.

Preezy wrote:The "falling over at the bar" scene is funny.

How often do you actually laugh at it though? I think I laughed once and that was it. Same goes with the chandelier bit. The episodes themselves (Yuppy Love and A Touch of Glass) are funny though.

Beans wrote:I found them funny at the time, but a bit like Simpsons and friends, if has been repeated so many times it's hard to laugh anymore.

I stopped watching them years ago as being so familiar with every episode had meant I wasn't finding the show as funny. But I've started watching them again thanks to repeats of the earlier episodes on BBC One and I'm finding them enjoyable again.
They recently had Danger UXD and Chain Gang on :mrgreen: Love those two eps so much. Will be keeping 'em on my Sky+ for a long time to come.

Mafro
Joined in 2008
AKA: based

by Mafro » Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:41 pm

Preezy wrote:The "falling over at the bar" scene is funny.

Fisher wrote:shyguy64 did you sell weed in animal crossing new horizons today.

Twitter
Hank Scorpio
Joined in 2008

by Hank Scorpio » Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:45 pm

It's the old it's really popular so I'll be cool and hate it arguement isn't it.

20 times, 20 times, Man United...
D_C
Joined in 2011

by D_C » Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:52 pm

I was brought up on it, because my Dad's a big fan of it. It still holds its own today I think.

The People's ElboReformat
Joined in 2008
AKA: Goat, Zenigame

by The People's ElboReformat » Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:59 pm

Beans wrote:I found them funny at the time, but a bit like Simpsons and friends, if has been repeated so many times it's hard to laugh anymore.

Friends and Classic Simpsons still makes me laugh though. Despite seeing them so many times. :wub:

The Eeveelution club! \o/
DML
Joined in 2008

by DML » Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:03 pm

Only Fools is perfectly written comdey. I'd give my right arm just to write ONE epsiode up to its calibre.

Winckle
Technician
Joined in 2008

by Winckle » Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:04 pm

We should migrate GRcade to Flarum. :toot:
Mafro
Joined in 2008
AKA: based

by Mafro » Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:07 pm

Winckle has me on ignore :(

Fisher wrote:shyguy64 did you sell weed in animal crossing new horizons today.

Twitter
Winckle
Technician
Joined in 2008

by Winckle » Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:09 pm

Mafro wrote:Winckle has me on ignore :(

I even skim read the thread, argh. :(

We should migrate GRcade to Flarum. :toot:
melatonin
Joined in 2008

by melatonin » Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:10 pm

Venom wrote:Say what you want but if this Halo TV series is a BIG BUDGET Game of Thrones style series with Spielberg directly producing this could be a Band of Brothers in space.
RogueLeader
Joined in 2008

by RogueLeader » Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:26 pm

Sure, the bar fall scene isn't that funny on its own. But it's not meant to be watched on its own. What about the rest of the carefully crafted John Sullivan script? Del Boy spends the whole episode trying to be a yuppie, schmoozing with a class of people above his station. He's in a fancy bar, trying to look cool and sophisticated, and...there it is.

Sorry to break it down, but that doesn't seem to be mentioned much.

I did this by severing my real arms and replacing them with super-human cyborg arms.

Return to “Stuff”