Return of the shopto paranoia....

Anything to do with games at all.
Kiran
Joined in 2009

PostReturn of the shopto paranoia....
by Kiran » Tue May 26, 2009 7:23 pm

Some of you will remember a topic a few weeks back about the secure credit card info held by shopto being compromised and then the manager of shopto saying it wasn't, putting the whole thing to bed.

I've just received my credit card statement today (for the card I've used on shopto on the past) and I have two fraudulent transactions for €100 and €50. I have contacted my credit card company and they will refund me for the transactions and told me that the transactions were keyed in, they were not internet transactions and the cardholder was not present for the transactions (they were also with an Italian company).

Now this may or may not be related to shopto, but the credit card in question is used only for internet transactions (that don't accept American Express) and as a result, was used at shopto in March.

I recommend anyone who has used shopto this year carefully checks their credit card statements for the last month or so.

Zellery
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Return of the shopto paranoia....
by Zellery » Tue May 26, 2009 7:44 pm

Just checked my debit card transactions and all seems fine for me.

Prototype
Joined in 2008

by Prototype » Tue May 26, 2009 7:47 pm

Fraudian slip.

rinks
Joined in 2008

by rinks » Tue May 26, 2009 7:50 pm

I've stickied this for a week just in case.

Loves us all since 2008
Henke
Joined in 2008

by Henke » Tue May 26, 2009 7:51 pm

Prototype wrote:Fraudian slip.

Nice.

Venom wrote:Great form, great volume, great nips.
So great! :)
Akai XIII
Joined in 2008

by Akai XIII » Tue May 26, 2009 8:27 pm

I got Killzone 2 (LE) free from Shopto 8-)

Buffalo
Emeritus
Joined in 2008

by Buffalo » Tue May 26, 2009 8:28 pm

Oh, Something Fishy mentioned something to me about himself being scammed a few weeks ago.
I knew there was something I was supposed to mention on here, sorry guys.

Alvin Flummux
Joined in 2008

by Alvin Flummux » Tue May 26, 2009 8:28 pm

I had a couple of fraudulent transactions not long after using them a couple of months back. Luckily as my card is a Visa Debit I got my money refunded.

The Alchemist Penguin
Joined in 2008

by The Alchemist Penguin » Tue May 26, 2009 8:44 pm

Yeah, I was also scammed for a bit of money recently too. I got it all back, but it does seem like an awfully large coincidence.

Winckle
Technician
Joined in 2008

by Winckle » Tue May 26, 2009 9:38 pm

Akai XIII wrote:I got Killzone 2 (LE) free from Shopto 8-)

Whose card did you use ;)

We should migrate GRcade to Flarum. :toot:
Akai XIII
Joined in 2008

by Akai XIII » Tue May 26, 2009 9:41 pm

:shifty:

JiggerJay
Joined in 2008

by JiggerJay » Tue May 26, 2009 9:47 pm

I'm sorry you got "had" Kiran, but this case shows no correlation that it was directly stolen from Shopto, unless you exclusivly only used that card there and nowhere else, but it could ahve been cloned from anywhere!

If shopto had, had a breach in security it would have been made publicly aware by now.

Skarjo wrote:You can buy all the fancy houses you want, we still remember you in a bath covered in ketchup for a free copy of CSI.

Instagram Twitter
smurphy
Joined in 2008
AKA: A Little Cocky Child

by smurphy » Tue May 26, 2009 11:56 pm

My parent's credit card which I've used on ShopTo was used for some fraudulent activity recently. It's never happened before.

Fishfingers
Joined in 2008

by Fishfingers » Wed May 27, 2009 12:26 am

I say this again - it should be illegal for a retailer to store credit or debit card information beyond the transaction itself.

There is NO REASON whatsoever for online stores to save this data - can you imagine how ridiculous it would be if you went to Tesco and at the checkout the girl said "would you like to use the credit card you have on file?". strawberry float off.

Alvin Flummux
Joined in 2008

by Alvin Flummux » Wed May 27, 2009 2:34 am

It isn't the online stores saving the data though, it's the web browser... right?

Anyway I can't be sure if ShopTo was responsible for fraud on my account either, I was using an ATM machine regularly back then which, along with the ones on either side of it, was known locally to have been the source of fraud on a few other people's accounts - only they'd had thousands taken and it was from places like the US, whereas I had £80 stolen (luckily a further £163 was not stolen as that transaction was denied) and it was from the south of England. Still though, I don't use that ATM machine any longer, nor do I use ShopTo.

Fishfingers
Joined in 2008

by Fishfingers » Wed May 27, 2009 2:48 am

Alvin Flummux wrote:It isn't the online stores saving the data though, it's the web browser... right?

No, when you give ShopTo your credit card details they store them on a server which clearly they haven't secured properly. This alone should be enough for the company to cease trading, never mind the fact that the dude who owns it has already been disqualified as a director.

Zellery
Joined in 2008

by Zellery » Wed May 27, 2009 3:22 am

Both Play and Amazon store your card details too.

It's not like Shopto are the only company to do it. :|

game_pro
Joined in 2008

by game_pro » Wed May 27, 2009 10:37 am

Zellery wrote:Both Play and Amazon store your card details too.

It's not like Shopto are the only company to do it. :|

But he's saying it should be illegal for any website to do it.

My card that I use on Shopto had a fraudulent transaction, only for 1 Euro though, by some company in Berlin doing a test payment.

Kiran
Joined in 2009

by Kiran » Wed May 27, 2009 11:39 am

JiggerJay wrote:I'm sorry you got "had" Kiran, but this case shows no correlation that it was directly stolen from Shopto, unless you exclusivly only used that card there and nowhere else, but it could ahve been cloned from anywhere!

Agreed. But it seems odd that this is the first time it's happened to me and it was the same card used for shopto.

JiggerJay wrote:If shopto had, had a breach in security it would have been made publicly aware by now.

There was a topic about it a few weeks ago, so yes, it was made public.

I'm not saying 100% for sure that it is shopto's fault, but it is a bit of a coincidence and I'm just trying to save people some grief. Because the amounts on my card were fairly small (€100 and €50) I could have easily overlooked them, and this was probably the plan, taking small amounts now and again rather than a big sum that would attract attention.

Rik
Joined in 2008

by Rik » Wed May 27, 2009 11:40 am

The card I use for Shopto got done for over a grand, seems a lot of people here have had a problem......

Neogaf: Riky

Return to “Games”